Founded in 1829 as part of the South African College, the University of Cape Town is South Africa's oldest university. It became a separate university in it's own right in 1918. UCT moved to it's current location, the Groote Schuur campus on the slopes of Devil's Peak, in 1928. The land was donated by the estate of Cecil Rhodes. The university has since established itself as a leading institution of teaching and research. The university has faculties of engineering, medicine, science, commerce, humanities and law.
Our mission is to be an outstanding teaching and research university, educating for life and addressing the challenges facing our society.
UCT is one of the leading universities in South Africa. It provides excellent undergraduate and postgraduate education as well as being active in research. The University of Cape Town boasts some of South Africa's best scientists.

In 2002, 18 985 students attended UCT. 51% of students are male and 49% are female. 52% are white and 48% African, Indian and Coloured. UCT has awarded 62 000 degrees and has produced two Nobel laureates: Sir Aaron Klug, President of the Royal Society, and the late Professor Alan MacLeod Cormack.

The current vice chancellor is Professor Njabulo Ndebele, a well known South African author. Graca Machel, Nelson Mandela's wife and widow of the late Mozambiquan president Samora Machel. Past vice chancellor's include current world bank managing director Dr Mamphela Ramphele.

One of the things I appreciate most is the view from UCT's upper campus at night. The view is over the glittering cape flats to the distant mountains around Stellenbosch. It is very hypnotic, I can sit and stare out of my residence window for hours. The student life is great, probably typical of most universities. There are students from all over the world at UCT, which makes it a very interesting place to make friends.

The UCT campus is divided in half by a line that runs from the peak of Devil's peak, through the spire of Jameson Hall, down the middle of Jameson (Jammie) stairs, through the memorial stone, across the middle of the summer house and down Japonica walk. This symmetry means that the campus looks incredible from the top of Devil's peak. University avenue runs the other way across the campus, with the old ivy covered buildings along it. Pity about the Cape Town weather.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.