There are two methods of tying line to your fishing hook. The first method is called the clinch knot. This method is very common, and most people use this method due to its reliability.

Hold the hook in one hand and slip the fishing line through the eye of the hook. Pull the line a few inches from the eye. Twist the hook six to eight times (the fishing line should twist too). Take the end of the fishing line, and slip it through the first loop of fishing line (the loop at the eye of the hook). Next take the end of the fishing line and pass it through the new loop that was created from the last twist to the first twist. Tighten the fishing line and clip excess line.

The next method is called the turtle knot. Pull the line through the eye of the hook, tie a slip knot at the end of the line. Next, pull the loop of the slip knot over the body of the hook and pull. Don't forget to cut the excess line.

The Palomar Knot

The best fishing knot I have ever found—for most situations. You can remember the name like polymer (as in space age. It worked for me. At any rate).

A palomar knot is very simple because it's based on a loop or granny knot. Everyone knows this one, make a circle and put your end through. The first knot we ever learn. The palomar knot is tied with these steps:

1. Run your line through the hook eye
2.Run it back through the other way (you can combine these steps by doubling your line and running the bend through the hook eye).
3. Tie a loop knot with this doubled line with the hook or fly in the middle, left hanging at the bottom of the loop. You can tighten this down and you will have a doubled end in a loop and a granny knot on the hook.
4. Bring the remaining doubled end up over the hook (same as pulling the hook through the loop).
5. Tighten by pulling on both the static and loose end. Make sure the loop stays above the hook eye.

A palomar knot holds at 100% of line strength. The only disadvantage is if you have a short leader it will take a little bit more and also because it is so strong, it will not be the breaking point if it is nessacary to break your line, possibly meaning lost gear.

good luck fishing

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.