It was at a dinner party in Washington DC that I was first served this pasta sauce. Our charming hostess, an intern at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, claimed to have learned to make the sauce while taking a college year in Italy.

I would recommend serving this sauce over a tube pasta like penne or rigatoni, with grated parmesan and fresh cracked black pepper on the side. It's also a great substitute for hollandaise over Eggs Florentine.

Once the cream is in the sauce, be gentle with the heat. Too much heat and cream curdles, which won't affect the taste, but the cottage-cheese-like appearance might be off-putting. The same applies when reheating.

Ingredients Method
Soak the red chili flakes in the vodka and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil, saute the garlic. Quarter the tomatoes, and add to pan, with juices. Simmer for several minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the vodka and chilis. Simmer to drive off the alcohol (the smell will change). Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes or so. Add cream while stirring. Return to low heat, stirring, until cream thickens. Serve over pasta of choice.

I use a decent mixing vodka, not one I'd drink straight, but not a plastic jug vodka either. However Kit_Lo reports that he used Grey Goose vodka when he made this sauce at Raise Hell. Raise a Barn. Raise Our Boys.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.