Sour Grapes (1921)
William Carlos Williams
The Lonely Street
- School is over. It is too hot
- to walk at ease. At ease
- in light frocks they walk the streets
- to while the time away.
- They have grown tall. They hold
- pink flames in their right hands.
- In white from head to foot,
- with sidelong, idle look--
- in yellow, floating stuff,
- black sash and stockings--
- touching their avid mouths
- with pink sugar on a stick--
- like a carnation each holds in her hand--
- they mount the lonely street.
Public domain text taken from The Poets’ Corner: