The Greenbrier Companies is a collection of subsidiaries that is traded publicly on the New York Stock Exchange. Their core business is manufacturing. They specialize in the production of rail car manufacturing, Ocean-going barge manufacturing, and rail car maintenance. While they are headquartered out of Lake Oswego, Oregon they do have facilities across the United State, in Mexico, along with a small venture in Europe.

Gunderson The Gunderson name is the manufacturing wing of the Greenbrier Companies. The Gunderson companies and locations include:

Gunderson - Portland, Oregon
The customers of Gunderson include all large rail roads. One of their most coveted awards is the 13 year SECO award from TTX. This award is given for recognition of outstanding suppliers and has become a standard in the industry. This facility has produced over 100,000 rail cars.

Gunderson Concarril - Sahagun, Mexico
This is another subsidiary that is owned by Greenbrier. Like its sister in Portland this facility produces intermodal and conventional freight cars. This facility boasts 2 assembly lines, a full service wheel and axle shop, and a 4,000/year car capacity.

Between The Portland and Sahagun location 60% of North American intermodal cars are produced.

Gunderson Marine - Portland, Oregon
This company specializes in the production of Ocean going barges. It is the largest side launch facility on the Pacific side of the United States and is a deep water facility. While their main business is barges, oil tankers, military gun boats, and triple deck ro-ro barges have been constructed at this facility.

Freight Car Repair services
The Greenbrier Rail Services Company is one of the largest car repair and refurbishment services in the nation. They provide facilities to large and small rail roads alike along with parts for cars and wheels.

Rail Car Leasing
This is a secondary business of The Greenbrier Companies and an interesting one at that. This company is actually in competition with TTX who is one of Gunderson's largest clients. Year ago The Greenbrier Leasing Company's complaints was one of the reasons why TTX had to obtain an Anti-Trust exemption from the STB. But due to the current business relationships The Greenbrier Companies are in favor of the existence of TTX. Source: The Greenbrier Companies, Personal Experiances

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.