To customize any product or service to the desire of the customer.

The original meaning of tailor -- to cut and sew fabric to make clothing -- has now almost been lost, since most clothes are now created en masse in a relatively small number of predefined sizes. Many tailors now perform alterations on factory-made clothing and repair it when necessary.

Tai"lor (?), n. [OF. tailleor, F. tailleur, fr. OF. taillier, F. tailler to cut, fr. L. talea a rod, stick, a cutting, layer for planting. Cf. Detail, Entail, Retail, Tally, n.]

1.

One whose occupation is to cut out and make men's garments; also, one who cuts out and makes ladies' outer garments.

Well said, good woman's tailor . . . I would thou wert a man's tailor. Shak.

2. Zool. (a)

The mattowacca; -- called also tailor herring.

(b)

The silversides.

3. Zool.

The goldfish.

[Prov. Eng.]

Salt-water tailor Zool., the bluefish. [Local, U.S.] Bartlett. -- Tailor bird Zool., any one of numerous species of small Asiatic and East Indian singing birds belonging to Orthotomus, Prinia, and allied genera. They are noted for the skill with which they sew leaves together to form nests. The common Indian species are O. longicauda, which has the back, scapulars, and upper tail coverts yellowish green, and the under parts white; and the golden-headed tailor bird (O. coronatus), which has the top of the head golden yellow and the back and wings pale olive-green.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tai"lor, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Tailored (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Tailoring.]

To practice making men's clothes; to follow the business of a tailor.

These tailoring artists for our lays Invent cramped rules. M. Green.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.