Surah 49 The Private Apartments - Al-Hujraat, 18 verses (Madina)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- O Ye who believe! Put not yourselves forward before
God and His Apostle; but fear God: for God is He Who
hears and knows all things.
- O ye who believe! Raise not your voices above the
voice of the Prophet, nor speak aloud to him in talk,
as ye may speak aloud to one another, lest your deeds
become vain and ye perceive not.
- Those that lower their voices in the presence of
God's Apostle,- their hearts has God tested for piety:
for them is Forgiveness and a great Reward.
- Those who shout out to thee from without the inner
apartments - most of them lack understanding.
- If only they had patience until thou couldst come
out to them, it would be best for them: but God is
Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
- O ye who believe! If a wicked person comes to you
with any news, ascertain the truth, lest ye harm people
unwittingly, and afterwards become full of repentance
for what ye have done.
- And know that among you is God's Apostle: were he,
in many matters, to follow your (wishes), ye would
certainly fall into misfortune: But God has endeared
the Faith to you, and has made it beautiful in your
hearts, and He has made hateful to you Unbelief,
wickedness, and rebellion: such indeed are those who
walk in righteousness;-
- A Grace and Favour from God; and God is full of
Knowledge and Wisdom.
- If two parties among the Believers fall into a
quarrel, make ye peace between them: but if one of them
- The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make
peace and reconciliation between your two (contending)
brothers; and fear God, that ye may receive Mercy.
- O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh
at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than
the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It
may be that the (latter are better than the (former):
Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call
each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a
name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he
has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed)
- O ye who believe! Avoid suspicion as much (as
possible): for suspicion in some cases is a sin: And
spy not on each other behind their backs. Would any of
you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Nay, ye
would abhor it...But fear God: For God is
Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
- O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a
male and a female, and made you into nations and
tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may
despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you
in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous
of you. And God has full knowledge and is well
acquainted (with all things).
- The desert Arabs say, "We believe." Say, "Ye have
no faith; but ye (only)say, 'We have submitted our
wills to God,' For not yet has Faith entered your
hearts. But if ye obey God and His Apostle, He will not
belittle aught of your deeds: for God is Oft-Forgiving,
- Only those are Believers who have believed in God
and His Apostle, and have never since doubted, but have
striven with their belongings and their persons in the
Cause of God: Such are the sincere ones, Were We then
weary with the first Creation, that they should be in
confused doubt about a new Creation?
- Say: "What! Will ye instruct God about your
religion? But God knows all that is in the heavens and
on earth: He has full knowledge of all things.
- They impress on thee as a favour that they have
embraced Islam. Say, "Count not your Islam as a favour
upon me: Nay, God has conferred a favour upon you that
He has guided you to the faith, if ye be true and
- "Verily God knows the secrets of the heavens and
the earth: and God Sees well all that ye do."
Surah 48 Victory
Surah 49 The Private Apartments
Surah 50 Qaf