Artist: Bert Kaempfert and his Orchestra

Label: Decca (DL-74795)

Release: 1966

Kaempfert's (not Frank Sinatra's) single of "Strangers in the Night" charted at a maximum of only 124 on the Billboard Magazine pop charts; but hit No. 8 on the "Easy Listening" charts.  The entire album made pop album chart No. 29 at its height, and just like the single hit "Easy Listening Album" chart No. 8 as well.

The title song, as well as being a hit for Sinatra and Kaempfert, has been recorded by artists/orchestras as diverse as The 101 Strings, Shirley Bassey, Vikki Carr, Floyd Cramer, Jack Jones, Andre Kostelanetz, Johnny Mathis, Bette Midler, Jim Nabors, Mel Torme, Billy Vaughan, and quite a few lesser artists.

Some may find it peculiar that despite the popular success of "Strangers in the Night," Kaempfert's version of the Dorothy Fields/Jimmy McHugh Standard "I Can't Give You Anything But Love," also on this album, charted as No. 6 on the Billboard "Easy Listening" charts and 106 on 1966's pop charts. Little wonder, though, that the song, written in 1923, has been performed by over 100 major artists and myriad others over the years.

  1. Strangers in the Night
  2. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
  3. But Not Today
  4. Time on My Hands
  5. Milica
  6. Mexican Shuffle
  7. Show me the Way to go Home
  8. Two Can Live on Love Alone
  9. Every Sunday Morning
  10. Boo Hoo
  11. Tijuana Taxi
  12. Forgive Me

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.