In J.K. Rowling's popular Harry Potter series, St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal Boys is the where Harry supposedly is during the school year. He actually attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon try and stay as far away from anything magical as they can, so they tell people that Harry's at St. Brutus's.

This also helps them to maintain the distinction that the Dursleys like to make between their son Dudley and Harry. To the Dursleys, Harry is a naughty child who must be mistreated for his involvement with magic, which he will not relinquish, so St. Brutus's is the perfect place for him as far as they're concerned. Dudley, their sweet perfect little boy, attends his father's alma mater Smeltings.

Usually, Harry doesn't have to listen to his aunt and uncle talk about him and his supposed misbehavior since they don't like him to be around when company's there. However, when his Aunt Marge (Vernon's sister) comes over (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), she berates him about deserving beatings for bad behavior at St. Brutus's, which alone Harry might have been able to bear. When Marge additionally comments on how worthless she thinks his parents were, Harry inadvertently causes an accident to occur that could have been avoided had Marge been a decent person and had his uncle not brought up St. Brutus's.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.