Director: Wei Lo
Starring: Jackie Chan
Released: 1978

One of Jackie Chan's earlier films, this one has him as a cocky young student at a Shaolin temple, where he spends most of his time performing grueling tasks as punishment for his neumerous hijinks. The story truly begins when the temple is broken into by a mysterious figure and the book of Seven Fists is stolen. We then learn that it is delivered to the hands of an ambitious young clan noble who is told to learn this "practically unbeatable" style in order to gain leadership of the clans. We also learn that the seven fist style can only be beaten by one other style, the "five fist" style, but it has been lost for generations (can one say set-up?, I knew that you could). It is shortly after this that ghosts are discovered in the temple's library, and the students (and one of the monks) at the temple embark to fight these wayward spirits. Jackie, who is napping, comes under the torment of these spririts, but for some reason the spirits (after seeing a glowing emblem appear on his chest) cower to him and eventual lead him to the book of "five fists" which has been hidden in a crack in the wall behind on of the bookshelves. Jackie is then instructed in the style by the spirits. Soon the leader of the Wu Tang Clan visits the monastary with his daughter, of course, Jackie is picked to show the daughter around the temple, and after snubbing his clumsy advances she gives Jackie a lesson in Kung Fu. Jackie goes back to the spirits to figure out where he went wrong, he trains a bit more, and goes back to regain his pride. After defeating the Clan leader's daughter in a rather humiliating fashion she runs to her father only to find that he has been murdered, apparently by one of the temple's monks, Jackie must seek out the true killer and of course, open up a can of whoop-ass on him.

The special effects are bad, there's enough fighting and foolery to keep one very entertained. If you're into kung fu movies this is a definite must-see. Also reccomended for any Jackie Chan afficiando. On the downside, it's a little hard to follow at times, and of course the dubbing is horrible, but I could not find a subtitled version.
A style revealed to thefez and I by an Eastern Hero's video title "Kung-Fu Genius"

This school of Kung Fu is more Clairovoyance/Necromancy than actual fighting style.

The students are instructed on how to channel the spirits of
masters who have transcended the material plane.
Once contacted, the student is then a vessel for a dead
master, and is able to execute his or her individual style
flawlessly . (There has been speculation that certain
powerful Masters tasted an assassin's poison because certain
less reputable factions of this school could not wait for the inevitable.)

Though very powerful, this style contains fatal flaws
that must be considered when choosing this school...


  • Even the most accomplished student needs several moments
    free from distraction in order to channel the spirit.
    This fact is well known to assassins throughout the realm who
    will exploit it when possible.
  • A student must bend all will and discipline to learning the art of
    summoning, leaving his or her own Kung Fu lacking in potency.
  • Wards found in nearly every home and business across the realm
    will break the connection with the master spirit, leaving the student
    to rely on his or her own inferior Kung Fu.


It is not unknown for a master spirit to choose a living practitioner not of
this school to watch over and lend aid to in times of great need, usually
a blood relative, but not exclusively...


These fighters are to be feared for they have training in addition to skills from beyond the veil...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.