By far the most presitigious awards program for high school students, the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards have been recognizing students with extraordinary talent for over eighty years.

In addition to the distinct art and writing components of the program, the awards are divided into sixteen art and ten writing subcategories (i.e. short story or drama for writing; sculpture or graphic design for art). Students submit their work in these areas to a regional jury, which is usually sponsored by a local newspaper, and consists of local English teachers, journalists, and other qualified people.

Award-winning pieces are submitted to a national competition at the headquarters for the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers in New York City. Three possible awards are given in the contest: Silver keys, gold keys, and Pinnacle awards. Additional awards and scholarships are given by sponsoring organizations. Student winners are presented their awards during a ceremony at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C.. In addition, student art is displayed at the Corcoran Gallery of Art.

Students interested in more information on these awards should visit the official website at http://www.scholastic.com/artandwriting/.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.