The AT-105 Saxon is the vehicle used by the mechanised infantry battalions of the British Army. The Saxon was first introduced in 1983, manufactured by GKN Defence. Basically a wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier (it has been described as a battlefield taxi), and more like a truck, the Saxon is a highly mobile vehicle on the battlefield, capable of traversing rough terrain and fording three feet of water. In addition, it is armour-proofed against mines, shrapnel and large-caliber (up to 7.62 mm) bullets. As the Saxon is based around truck parts, it is also much less high maintenance that tracked vehicles such as AFVs. A 7.62 mm machine gun is also fitted to the turret to provide a degree of protection in addition to the armour.

Four mechanised battalions attached to 3 Division (based in the UK) are equipped with the Saxon, and there are a total of around 550 in service. There are two variants, an infantry carrier and an ambulance, and each vehicle is estimated to have cost approximately £145, 000. Vehicles in Northern Ireland are also fitted with equipment such as extra armour, searchlights and a barricade removal device. Although the Saxon has been successful used by the army in places such as Bosnia and Northern Ireland, the more peaceful times in these theaters have left the Saxon more unused recently. As the nature of warfare changes, it is predicted that the Saxon will be unable to provide the speed and agility needed by infantry in the future. Therefore they are likely to be replaced at some point by some kind of "MARV", or Multi Role Armoured Vehicle.

Specs:

Length: 5.16 m
Width: 2.48m
Height: 2.63 m
Weight: 10, 670 kg
Ground clearance: 0.33 m
Max road speed: 96 kph
Road range: 510 km
Engine: Bedford 600 6-cylinder Diesel
Fuel capacity: 160 litres
Horsepower: 164 bhp
Crew: 2, plus maximum of 10 passengers
Main armament: 7.62 mm GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun)
Other armaments: None
NBC Proof: No
Night Vision: None


Sources:
www.army.mod.uk
"The British Army: a Pocket Guide"

Sax"on (?), n. [l. Saxo, pl. Saxones, from the Saxon national name; cf. AS. pl. Seaxe, Seaxan, fr. seax a knife, a short sword, a dagger (akin to OHG. sahs, and perhaps to L. saxum rock, stone, knives being originally made of stone); and cf. G. Sachse, pl. Sachsen. Cf. Saxifrage.]

1. (a)

One of a nation or people who formerly dwelt in the nothern part of Germany, and who, with other Teutonic tribes, invaded and conquered England in the fifth and sixth centuries. (b) Also used in the sense of Anglo-Saxon. (c) A native or inhabitant of modern Saxony.

2.

The language of the Saxons; Anglo-Saxon.

old Saxon, the saxon of the continent of Europe in the old form of the language, as shown particularly in the "Heliand", a metrical narration of the gospel history preserved in manuscripts of the 9th century.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sax"on, a.

Of or pertaining to the Saxons, their country, or their language.

(b)

Anglo-Saxon.

(c)

Of or pertaining to Saxony or its inhabitants.

Saxon blue Dyeing, a deep blue liquid used in dyeing, and obtained by dissolving indigo in concentrated sulphuric acid. Brande & C. -- Saxon green Dyeing, a green color produced by dyeing with yellow upon a ground of Saxon blue.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.