1128-1180 Feast Day: November 14

Lawrence O’Toole was born about 1127, in Leinster, Ireland. He was the son of Murtagh, chief of the Murrys in Castledermot, Kildare. His mother was one of the Clan O’Byrane. At the age of ten he was taken hostage by King Dermon McMurrogh of Leinster in a raid. In 1140 O’Toole obtained permission to enter the monastic school of Glendalough; in that valley sanctuary he studied for thirteen years, conspicuous for his piety and learning. In the year 1161 he was made a monk and later named archbishop of Dublin. He was involved in negotiating with the English following their invasion of Ireland, and in 1172 convened a synod at Cashel. He also attended the General Lateran Council in Rome in 1179, and was named papal legate to Ireland. While on a mission to King Henry II of England, O’Toole died at Eu. Normandy, France. He was Canonized in 1225. In his life he founded an Austin nunnery, of the reform of Aroaise, in Dublin, with two dependent cells at Kilculliheen (County Kilkienny) and at Aghade (County Carlow), in 1151. He also founded an abbey for Cistercian monks at Baltinglass, and an abbey for Austin cannons at Ferns.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.