S/N ratio = S = saga

sacred adj.

Reserved for the exclusive use of something (an extension of the standard meaning). Often means that anyone may look at the sacred object, but clobbering it will screw whatever it is sacred to. The comment "Register 7 is sacred to the interrupt handler" appearing in a program would be interpreted by a hacker to mean that if any other part of the program changes the contents of register 7, dire consequences are likely to ensue.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

A short-lived and relatively unknown Amiga demo scene group from Hämeenlinna, Finland.
Not to be confused with Sacreds.

Sacred was formed somewhere around 1991 and consisted of three quite talented members: Razer (coder), Heathen God (gfx artist) and Groo (musician). The only known production from the group is the Dragon Strike Slideshow, which was released in late 1991 and contained pictures taken straight from the Amiga version of TSR's board game.

In early 1992 Groo left for The Black Robes, a group which later on became Virtual Dreams / Fairlight. He went on to become a quite well-known scene personality and eventually joined the legendary CNCD (Carillon/Cyberiad).
The other two members continued as a team, releasing quality intros under their own pseudonyms without a group name. Groo always appeared as a guest star making the music for their productions. Around 1993 Razer (who had spent some time in the group Alcatraz) joined Stellar.


Amiga Scene Groups

Sa"cred (?), a. [Originally p.p. of OE. sacren to consecrate, F. sacrer, fr. L. sacrare, fr. sacer sacred, holy, cursed. Cf. Consecrate, Execrate, Saint, Sextion.]

1.

Set apart by solemn religious ceremony; especially, in a good sense, made holy; set apart to religious use; consecrated; not profane or common; as, a sacred place; a sacred day; sacred service.

2.

Relating to religion, or to the services of religion; not secular; religious; as, sacred history.

Smit with the love of sacred song. Milton.

3.

Designated or exalted by a divine sanction; possessing the highest title to obedience, honor, reverence, or veneration; entitled to extreme reverence; venerable.

Such neighbor nearness to our sacred [royal] blood Should nothing privilege him. Shak.

Poet and saint to thee alone were given, The two most sacred names of earth and heaven. Cowley.

4.

Hence, not to be profaned or violated; inviolable.

Secrets of marriage still are sacred held. Dryden.

5.

Consecrated; dedicated; devoted; -- with to.

A temple, sacred to the queen oflove. Dryden.

6.

Solemnly devoted, in a bad sense, as to evil, vengeance, curse, or the like; accursed; baleful.

[Archaic]

But, to destruction sacred and devote. Milton.

Society of the Sacred Heart R.C. Ch., a religious order of women, founded in France in 1800, and approved in 1826. It was introduced into America in 1817. The members of the order devote themselves to the higher branches of female education. -- Sacred baboon. Zool. See Hamadryas. -- Sacred bean Bot., a seed of the Oriental lotus (Nelumbo speciosa or Nelimbium speciosum), a plant resembling a water lily; also, the plant itself. See Lotus. -- Sacred beetle Zool. See Scarab. -- Sacred canon. See Canon, n., 3. -- Sacred fish Zool., any one of fresh-water African fishes of the family Mormyridae. Several large species inhabit the Nile and were considered sacred by the ancient Egyptians; especially Mormyris oxyrhynchus. -- Sacred ibis. See Ibis. -- Sacred monkey. Zool. (a) Any Asiatic monkey of the genus Semnopitchecus, regarded as sacred by the Hindoos; especially, the entellus. See Entellus. (b) The sacred baboon. See Hamadryas. (c) The blunder monkey. -- Sacred place CivilLaw, the place where a deceased person is buried.

Syn. -- Holy; divine; hallowed; consecrated; dedicated; devoted; religious; venerable; reverend.

-- Sa"cred*ly (#), adv. -- Sa"cred*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.