There are two kinds:

    Definition: A concrete Riemann Surface is the zero set (in C2) of a function P(z,w) = wn + an-1(z)wn-1 + ... + a1(z)w + a0(z) where each ai is holomorphic in z.

    Definition: An abstract Riemann Surface is a (differential) 2-manifold which is everywhere locally homeomorphic to the unit disc, and the homeomorphism identifies holomorphic functions in both directions.

Where the former is a special case of the latter.

Why the need?

Complex Analysis is all very nice, with some very beautiful results, and seems almost self-contained. The notion of a Riemann surface, however, extends this for two main reasons:
  1. The complex numbers are in some sense the first 'topologically interesting' set of numbers, so why not generalise the notion to handle other topologies, like spheres and tori?
  2. Complex analysis has problems with multivalued functions
Let's explain the second one first, and in doing so justify the definitions above. Start by considering the function f(z) = (1-z2)1/2: previously, you would think of putting a branch cut between -1 and 1, with the understanding that along any curve which crosses the cut in returning to its point of origin (and does not go back the way it came), the function will change its sign. This certainly is an awkward way to view things, and Riemann's idea was to extend the domain of the function so that a single valued function can be obtained.
This is done by 'gluing together' a number of copies of C together: here there are two copies joined along the branch cut - where the sign of the function changes when you move from one to the other. Visually, think of stretching each branch cut out to a cricle, joining the two sheets and defoming them to give a(n infitie) cylinder - which can be further deformed to give a sphere minus two points.

At this point it helps to draw a picture.

This surface fits in with the concrete definition if w2=f2=1-z2 ie. w2 + (z2-1) = P(z,w) = 0, and with the abstract definition by identifying neightbourhoods of the surface with ones on the two copies of the complex plane and thus with the unit disc.
Naturally, a function with more branch cuts will result in a more interesting topology.

So, the concrete definition deals with multivalued functions by treating the 'multivalued-ness' as resulting from multiple roots of a polynomial equation.

So why are there two types?

It turns out that no (non-empty) surfaces arising from the concrete definition are compact, and as you may have seen with the Riemann sphere, compactness is a good way of dealing with infinity. The abstract definition allows this, and it becomes sensible to speak of the behaviour of a function 'near infinity' on an compact Riemann surface - indeed, infinity becomes a point like any other.

How else can they arise?

Looking at the above example, we could construct a toroidal Riemann surface by taking a similar function, except with two branch cuts, then glue the surface together and compactify it. There is another way, however - and that is to quotient the complex plane by the group of actions of horizontal and vertical translations by intergers (ie. generated by z->z+1 and z->z+i). This means that the behaviour of a function is determined entirely by its behaviour on a unit square, with top/bottom and left/right sides identified with each other (this does give rise to a torus, as that groovy node about asteroids testifies).
Meromorphic functions on this surface are called elliptic functions, and obey f(z+a) = f(z) and f(z+ib) = f(z) for all intergers a and b when considered as functions on C.

So quotients provide another way to construct Riemann surfaces. What is nice is that all compact connected Riemann surfaces arise in this way: (I claim) the simply connected Riemann surfaces are D (the unit disc), C (the complex plane) and P1 (the Riemann sphere) - and all others can be expressed as quotients of a group acting freely on one of these. What is even nicer is that this group turns out to be precisely the fundamental group of the resulting surface.

Print gallery:

The title of a lithograph by M.C. Escher. If you don't know it, here's a description: in the bottom right hand corner, we see the print gallery from the outside. A number of Escher's other works are visible inside. Looking left, the gallery gets larger, and inside it there is a young man admiring a print of the bay in Senglea. Moving up the picture now, the print gets larger and the houses on the far side of the bay become visible. Moving left now, the houses escape the frame, and start to fill up the picture. Looking down from the top right corner the buildings become larger still, and we see the print gallery again, contained it the print on its own wall.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Ah;Srrr:r&:Gs2X9@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@SS::      @  .  .. , , :@@@@@                                                  ...,hS@@@Ah,23A@#AiA@@GGsr@@  #@@@2..   ;5:    ri     .
B@@@@@@     ,:;rA@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@2.                .@    ,       A@@@@                                          :5:HXs   @@@rs,  .XM5S2i.r;&.2;@h,G@  5@@@   @@@   @@@    @@@  
3@MM@Mh@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@i                        @    .     ,  @@@@@                                  rG@@@@@ .@B 3@@ ;@:&@.@9@#;r,3A2i@:rGH. ;#   r@@@h  @@@ @2@@@@@@@@@@@@
i#@#@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#3,:                               s@ ,  .   .   @@@@@                           5irA@@H5S3,M.@  @@  @@  @@Gs:#A@2s3@S:ri@G#2H@@@@.95.      @@                
2@@AM@.@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@9r                                           @  ..         @@@@B                    .G;@r :@ M@iA@#@SSM@B @@  s@  @#@5@@XBh@2XsH5@  @@@9 :@ s@i#@@#  @@rH@2r,,sr@#@#GBs
H3#@B@ @@@@@@@@A@h@hr..                                                       @   .         @@@@@             ,s@@ @@@@ @;  @  r 2@ @@@@@@         3&S@H9i@,r;3@@h#sM@2 5;i@ .     :        MH 3       .
iG 52@ @@#@@@@@;                                                              2@     ,      S@@@@       ,Sh@@@@ 2@  B#@ #@,r@@@;sB@ @ ..   :sB@@@@@@@@;. @@@r;@Ar,3;:rH@@@@@@@ ,@@@@;&.@    @@@@  @@@  ,
rS@@&@ @@@@M@#@@                                                               @   . :   .  ,@@@@@ Ai@@B@@@@@@@@&2#XXr@@#@@@@@.@@ S  #@@  @@  @#X3rB;@G@;B@s#Si;@,@@@@@@@@@@       3   @       @  @@@5 :
r#@2M@ @@@@@@@@@                                                               @      ..     @@@@@ @  Br@      ..Si@ @@@     3  : @  @r5  .   @H@.,2,@3.5r ;@3.@@2@@       .5@@@@  :  M@       @  2r,:,.
ihi;M@ @@@@@#@@@                                                               @r .          @@@@@r@si#s@  @  @@Arr@ @@@  :@               ;@@& r SXGH5S2r.9B@ @@ @@    B@@@@@@@@ .@   @    @&          
2S@M2@ @@B@@#@@@                                                     .2iAMh@3@3@@ ,          r@@@@ .@@A3@  @  @5@@@@       ;   ;r          @ri#2rX5@;;,:rHr#::,@@ @@ M@  @@@HS5.. .    @:s  @@  s@s     
M@@2B@ @@@@@@@@@                                      ,i3@@@@@#@:@@@@@X iiS@  ,#@       .  .  @@@@,@i@@@@;r    ,rB.@r  @@    H,        @@@@@sr,rrrr&&@@@@#@@@@@@@G@@ @@           .@@@@@@@  M@     @@@@ 
iS &M@ @@@M@#@@@           ,;i2GAh3M#XXAM@@#@A2@2GS@@@2.;  :   G &     :i;   .@;@        .    @@@@s@       5;Si. ; @@  @@  ,h:          9i:r5@@@@@@@#&@@@@@@3s@  5s@ @@r        @@@@@@@@@@  @@     @,@@ 
.2.5hG @@@@#G@@@           @ ;         i       s s.s        ;:2@r@   #ss@ @   @;@             @@@@AA#@&X@@ @,:rHrr @@    @@#,;rs5XS@@@@@&@@@MABH##@. @@@@@@@:        &@@        #@@@@@2r ,rr..     # @@ 
:@#B@3,9@#h@M@@@           @ . :.,      .      @5  ,rS2SM@&G@    & @&@ @  S,@A@ @             @@@@@  @  @@ :@H#@:S  5@BS5#  &  @   @S@A@s#@@#@@@@@@@@@2#@@@@@@@@@@@@@i                        ;    X @rr
 G,ssS32@@@M##@@           @   .  ..     X @@A.@i  @i;  @.s..S   ,s    @  @H h: @       :,.   @@@@B  @   &  . .    ,:    @ H@  @2r @GsHiB@@3@@@H  :  ,               S@@ @@H    @@@r    :     5   G@ @@@
SXM#hS@ @@@@@@@@i          @     . ,., @@@s : ,    @ i@3#     @ ,r:2s@@@3#:;:,, @ ,           @@@@@@:2@@H @@@  H@@2   2@9          @#B@@@@@@@@@   2 @G         @@@@&AMA@ @@@    X @@    @@@@  ,    @    
 srs@,@ @@@#@@@@A          @ ,r; ;  : ,2 :, @,3 ::.i S   s:@ .    :@ hr; @   G  @ , . .   .   @@@@             ;:r@  M@@@@  @@@@@@ @G@r@          @ @@;2,;2@@@s# ; @ .r@ @@@   r   @     #@@@    r; @A  
 .A@GMB @@@@@@@@@          @        M@i  ,,@  @S.9@ Sr. .,#@ @@ @  @.X5    2@@@@@ .    i, :  .@@@@ @@@:5:                          @@@@@   ,.     & r  :@A@AG@25h 3@529#@  ..H H@@@h     S.2@  @ ,: .@ .
 M2XS3r @@#@#@@@@          @       @   :@   i3@.  X B ri2 @A @  @ X3sSr ,@  9 ;;A .       ,  @@@@#   r   ;i@    @@     @           @@    @          si@GA:s:SXG9@ ;@@M@@@@@@@@@@r  @@##iS    .;@  @  @,,
,siri@@#,@@@@@@@@.         @       @ i  :rA 9@@i;;2 # @ . .: @. @ @9@rH    @@;@@    . :      @@@@ @ 2:M@@@@@G@@@      @@      @.   @@  ; h @@   G. ;h@risArS2AA@@  G#S;           ;@S s         ; @  2@ 
;@9@r@@@ @@@#@@@@2         @ ,.    h # rA;; :       @2::@& , s    ; ;M#       :@ . .   . ,  #@@@@  s;                 @@     ,@   .@@ ;@@  G@  ;@@ :#A;@H@@@@@@@@  @,      @sBs@i  @@ h   @@@@  X    .X.
:;AGrr5@ @@@@@@@@M         @       @ @   5.  @ ,:   sX  @#     , @@@@A        .:  .  .      @@@@      @@  ,@.    . ,Xi 2Xr#H@H@@@@@@@   @h s@   @; s@@@@#@A;,      @       SS:@@@  :@ @,  @A; .:  ;GS;;,
rShsAXX@ @@@@@@@@@         @   & : @ @   X ,   2i             .  s  :5  @@@@@,@   ., ,     @@@@;.@ 9s,@9  @@  3@@  :@&B@@@@#@@@@@@@@,   @,@@@  r@X @            ,  @    ,; h .@@@ @:@@:29 r@@           
Sh@;3@:@@.@@@@@B@@         @   sSr:r     @  ,52;   ,   M@9&S2@h.G   @s @,@ M @.        :  @@@@@;G@        ;#  @@;  @#:A9@A&#@@@@@@@@  r #r@@@@@@@@ @            .  @5@MAMr,X ,G@@ @    ,;,     @@@@     
 Ss S&2@A @@@@@@@@         @        .sri99riX;,@2h,r          ;  @ G3 ;    . @     .     X@@@@ ,@   @@  .9     S  G@5M5#@@@@@      B @@@  H&  53@@@@  @@@   @9;    rS5;9@2#@@MA@@ @H         S AS5@S    
ir@BS:i@s.@@##@@@@:        @                      :sAs3&#iH@Ass        @@,. @  ..,.:,;  :@@@@  @  ;;@;  @@;  X   @@@@A@@@@  ..;  ,@9 @@B  @@   @:  i  @@@   @@@   ,GSi#@A@@@@@@@;  :;r.,     :       :X5
MA9@;hsh2;@@@@@@@@2        @           ,  .  A                 .@#A@@@ @ @.@    :.:    3@@@@G;@@ ,#   :s@i  @@@  @M@H2i#@       2#@   @@  @@   @@ s.    .   ;@@    Gr;@@                            @9Xs
r# i&;3XM@ @@#@@@@@        X,          .    ..   .          : ,       @   .@  ,    :  ;@@@@  @  B@@@ ,5  :r@@@  @@@As#@@  @@@  #Si@   @@@@@G   @. @                B#5@@;@@Ars;sXHG3G3&22,,,.,.:: . AM@S
 @r@@@@@@@r@@@@@@@@         ,              .     r,    .        @;3G@@@@@:@  ., ;    h@@@@ :      @  ;@@       @@@@@@@@r @@@@  AG@  @@AA@@9#X@@@@ @         @@     #G##@                          .   s 
3M&Xr:,,,,   .   .#9##@@@@#@@5.          .     ....  ,    .      2:.   .:@  .       ;@@@@ S@  rXAAB ,@@  @@A  @@   ihB@@ @@@@  .@@  @@   . @@@@@@ @        @@@@    ;2h@@    @@@@   ;@@@@    @@@@@     ;:
                              3#@@@@@@A.                         .   2: @      ..  @@@@,  A@@@@@@A @.X@ @@@  @i  @@  .M@#@A   @@@ r@@ . @@.    ;@@         @  @    Xr@#@    ;,r@     3 @     :@.@G     r
.                                      iH#M&@M;     .      .   .,      @i  . .    @@@@:2@@@@@@B@@@@@X    : ,@@  @@@      s2B@@    @@@:  H@  @@@  2         @S;@    @@@X@    i@@@    r@@@@    r@@#@     :
                                    .         ;@MB@A          ,; ,.   2B .,: i:  @@@@h@@@S B@::  B@@ #@@  @@@@@@@          ,@##@@    ,      S@  @@@@@@@:   @ 2@    @@.i@   @@isM@   2:: ;      ;  Sr    
                                                    3@@#        ,    X&    .   ;@@@@ @@@@ . .G@@    @@@ i@   2@@2  ;   @@@@  .i#@@@@@   ;i.          @@@M ,@ @@    @@ M@@@            .#@2  r,     ;    
H@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@&A@#@@M@#@#i,              .  .    A9@2.: .    A@        @@@@    #BA@MH;3##  &   2@@  @@  @2@@@2 @@@@       ;X@9#5@.  @Br23i.        , ;9:   @@,@@@@@@A;      ,G@#@@      .,;:::,r.
,G.s@SiB,2r @s@@@@@@@       @   sX@@@@@@@#.      .   .     .@AH.,  G#        @@@@  S   rA@@@#HB@@@#:     @@@&     @@S@@@h          :.@@@@;s,      :SS2         .; .,.        , s@@@@@iX@:@##MMr         
 3,.r;..iiH@@ @@#@@@@       @             :@@@@i      .   ,    B@ #3    .   @@@.  i A    ,@@@@@:  @ 2     2        @@ XGi       X@    Xh @@    @,     ;3ss2              .2@@@@@@siH:A; ,Sr     @@@@@3  
:   3@;33r;#r@.@@#@#@       r9           .:,# G;@@@@r      .     @;  ;    ,@@@, @ X@,H9;S,   i@  ,@@@@     s    B@r ;@@X  @@   XM@@@   ,;@    #@@@@s       .;iiXsi        2Ar,;HAGS  ;; :A@  .  ::5A @  
,;S: s.:; ;GM@,@@@@@@;       @;5r:. s  ;2@ @@@     :@@@@,     .     .    @@@    ; @@:    :; ;.# ;@ #X@@    ,H .@@@@   r @@H#: @@@@@     ,     @@i2@     @;        :sr2rir @@hX#     : s@@ @      h @@@@ 
@:;; r#S;s5i#h@ @#@@@#       @  :.r., ,  X @ X  r   . .,@@@.           ,@@@ #S  ,A@@@X  X   ;    SS,     @@ .5  @        @.#@@@@@M    ,A,  @ ,A@@@@    @@@@@@             S., . ; @@,2 @, @@      @ r &2
@@ :;r2@;iS@XXA.@@@@@@       @  :  .2G   @@@@S@@&.r     ,..@@@    ,   ;@@@         @@@@@@ ,2@@@B  @r#  @@,   @B           @A .&@;s    ir    s#   #     @@3 @     @@@@2    :  M@:;;@, i M@  @B       @@@@
i@#  s.,:is@XXA#A@@@@@       @ ;   S: .  @#@r @3  ,.   .  .  @;.....,     @;       h@@S@    #.:   ;@,@  @@@H  @ ; .       r@@ . :   s&         Hs@@ , X@@@@@     @@S@@@   &,@@  h @  H# @   @.     :    
 @@H  5,:#.@: @@ @@@@@@      @  ;r      ,@H@   @@@Hi     :  @;         ,   @;   i#@  @@@@     @  . @r@  r      @@  3  r@@   @@@@   .@A     ;.       A#    @@     @@5 #9   ,:@@ .@.@2  M  H@@#H@@@@@@@@@s
  @@  .5,@, ;:@#,@@@@@@      @r @i@X@@  G@@@    @@@@@    S @,     @@;   ..  @  .  , iS@@@@@           r    :B@@ ,:@@;3@@@@   X@S@9r9  #@ S@@@@        9@@2      .@@@@@@    s@@  @ S   3@& rriX.      9@X
   @@ ,; @ @.,,;@ @@@@@3     @ SH@  @#@5@@#@ i@@  @#@@@Hi @s     @@@ @    :  @  .   i   i                  .   @@@  @@  ; @h,   ,@      @@@B2@@           s@@ @;     #A    hr@   @ @@@i..&   ;@    .  @@
    @@  r.ri:#XA@ @@@@@@     @ MX@@@iXr#@@@ 3s3      @@M .9     @@  X #9  .,  @  .    ,; :                      @@    @@.   ;X9@:     X@@@@r@@                 rHMHS       @   #@@     :   @@ @@      .3
    @@rr; A i :H:@ @@@@@     s2@ @@@@# A@@@ @Ai@@@@@,5@@@@     @@  . s@i3      @ 5  .: , .                       Xi@#r  #@B  ,;      @@@H@&@@As    i@@@@            ,5@@   @@@@ :2.::  rS#5@M  ss  ,   3
,    @@   :i,i:iXB @@@@@      @A&#@@@@@@ :  @@@@    @@@@X    :@@      ;@@@  .  @s r :               .             : . H@r3#@@   ,  @@@@@@r@@   ;Hr @@.s@@                  M:  ,s   ;@@ 2, @@ :@@    :  
:     @@ ,r .iS ;.;@@@@@      @ @@@@@@@@@H    S@;;  @@@@    M@@@ @   @S; .@     @ :  .          ..,              s  s       S   @ :@@@@@@#@       @@@@r@@                  @B; .  M2A@9 5;  @s  @@      
.i     @& 9.ir:#@@Xr@&M@@     @  @@@@@@@@@@@r  #@@A@  S    @@@  @@@@@  S  r#  . G, ,:            .                  2 .r;    s  .@   @@@@@       @@@@ i@2      @@@@@@      Ar @@9Gi :@r  @A @@   @@  ,  
XA@    @@ ,@@@s3@@r@M, h@@@   @.3   h@@@@@@@@@#@:A@H#@    @@@ @@@ X@  h    @     @                                  2          .  @G  #@#       @@@@@;@@ X@@,  ;@@@@@@     X; @@  A  @@  srr @3  @@r    
;X@@    @@A@@.@@: @@;@@@H@@@@ @s2i r.:#BH@@@@@@@#   @@   A@  i@9,@:   5 ;.  @    @.                                                @@         .@@@s@.@@     ,;M@@@@@@@     @# @h  Gi,r@5  @#;@@   @@ :i:
M :@@   r@;@@@@@@@@@@#S@@@M@@ @@@@@@&@@@G  .@@@@@@@,@   S@@@@@ @S;@@ @      @G    @                      .         @@@@@@#&Gs#:;@#S  @@@      @@@M@ ;@@        @@@@@@@      , @@  shS @@  ir  @@    @ ;.
@A,@#9   @@;@A@@9@@@@5@@@5@@@@       s@@@#@: H@@@#@@   .@9@@S @s@i@@,& .:,   @  . @                                      5@@@@@@@H@   rA r  :@@@hr@#@@        @@@@@@@@ rA2SM@9@@;  @2,@@   @# 5    @@;  
;@,:@@,   @B@@@H2@@&3B@@@@@@@ @          ,.H@@#;@@@X   @h  @@@,A@   @  .:::,  @   2H.                  .        .   r              r;    M:   s@@@rA@i       .:@@@@@@@      3:@@3  @2H2@@  H@@i 3@@.,@@H
3@@&@M@   ;@2@@A@@@@@@@@: ;@@ @               X@#@@   @@A#@@@@ #  ;;9   . . 5i@:   #                            @   ,               ,;.   @@S     @@@        #r@@M;@@@      @i.@@  #@::@h:    @@@:,M@@. 
i@@@@h@5   @@X@@@@@@@@@@@,@    @@                #i  X@@@@9;  @, :A# .;.:;9;   @   h                           G@    h    ,: ,r..S@r  :     2@@    ;         H@@@   ;@      @@ @@   #M;A    i@#r2r h;  ;
X@A@@S5H    @A@@@@#B##@@ @@     @                @   @G@@@@@@@@59@@r, ris.      #   @@@@@@@@#;              9  @@     35X3;.,:;.,       ;      @@#          .:@  ,; @@      M@ @@;  @h@  ;@@@: @@@@@22S 
,@@@@@3X;   A@,@@@@@@@@@   B    @               ,@  @@  i@@@@@@#  @. 53;       s@   5@@@@X2  ... .       s&@@; #@#    .               :     @    i@@@@   .  h@s2  ;  @      X@,@@;    @@@@#i3@@#    25@@
 @@&@@hi#    @M@@@@@@@S         S               @  i@      @@@@@@@@ A:       @@@@@   @,,MA2@@@3@@@A@@@@@@@@@@.  @@     :.       ::;,,    H@@@h       #  @,     ;@@@ @@      i@@@    :@&SrAB@  ;. ,;     
 s@@@@@@9i   A@  ;          ,@@3@@@@@@@2        @  @;        2@@@X,G      ,@@@@@@3&   @r;h@M@@@@@@#    .   . .  @@@     ;;:rAr;     :@@@@;    ,5r        ,h@@i              .@@  ;@@@H,.A2@& #@@@@M :.  
  B@@@@@@@M   @@ A@ :..    2@@G@@@@@@@@@@@@@2. @  B@           .@@,      @@@@@s.9G@S  #@@@@@#     .B@@@@@@@@s    @@  i         s@@@@@s    .      ,5r         H@@@@@2. @@#    @@@@@@iS @@@.    , ,rA@@@@s
   .@@@@@@@   .@ @   :,,@r        :    sX@@@@@@@  @                    ;@@@@;  #:rX@   @@.   ;@@@@@@@&H@@@@S;    :@    HM@@@@@@@@,    r        Sr   .r:,           :GBH@@:   @#A,BX@@@3: ;;@9         AM
    @@@@@#5@   @@A.@@@@@@@@@@@@   rr9,&;    ;i@. ,@@@9                @@@@@ ;@@si:M#@r   5@@@@@@:   @@@A#@@       @@@@  2@@; .   .          ,;#:        5  @@   .            @ 2B@@@  5@@hH; 3H2X:      
     @@@@@A@   S@        .5A@@@@@,GA,@9:5:&h;S@  @@@@@@@@            @@@@,H#@9@9@@@@5    A@@@        @@X@@ ,     X  @@@       :s         :ri;       :i   @@@3;  :          ; r2@@S   . , .@h@@@s ::HH   
     r@@@@s@A:  @@  .          ;@@@h;;S:r,&5rr@  @.  ;@@@@@@;       @@@@ r,XM#i,#@   #@@        #@    @@@.r      :2.@@@@@       ;s    .;r,       .ss   @@@. ,        ..  ,  ;    :M#@,    ,  ,&@@@X  ;iX
      @@@@MH#@  @@  S;2:,2;:s;     @@@@;SHSB2H@  @:; :  ,r@@@@@r   @@@2 55:2.r9@@  @@@@@#9  M@@@@#@    @H.         @:.:@@@@       ;99S .       ii:  ,@@@  .s     Sr     .  @@   &     .           :.    
       @@@@2@@   @:     ,     r,r;    @@s: S;@r @@, :#..    .@@@@@@@@r sGGA,.9@  G@s@@2   r  :@@ @@@   r:      .         H@@@        :;;    :sH.  5@@A   r      @;    s   @@     @     , ,  .         .,
       i@@@@XM@  @@     i         .   @@@s.s @  @i;H&; ;r :r   i@@@@,  ,ris39@  @X@@@     @@@   @@@@@@XA     .             S@@@s        2r;5.   B@@2   @      ;@         @#   ,   A   ,    .., .,;.     
        @@@@@3@,  @    ,r :         #@Gs@3#@@@  @ r#;2S ;&3#ss :  ,@ 2S;, .2@  @s@@@    @@  9 @  ;@@@ X           i@@@@9Gr.  ,@@@@            @@@&,  H       #,    ,;. S@A  3       2     .    , .      
        i@@@B@H@  @X   @  :    r.@ r    @2   @ s@2:G@rSB  ,S;,:A,:, rh ,;iA@  @.@@    ,@A:@@ @     : ,        @@@XX.;S@@@s M.   @@@@@   r  #@@@&   H; r: , #:    ,    @@:        .   ,,     .,.    r,  ;
         @@@@&@@  @@.;r@ .S    A @r@   G@@   @ @# ;rX@@@HB #,,5A5: :.:,X:#@ r@:@@     A@@@@@@@  @@  X      h@@  @@@@@@@@i:@@@@S   r@@@@                :r ;;  ;rr,   @@          ..   S;       .,     @@
          @@@@@@r     .is&@@2s@@.@@ .: S@@   @ @:       B@@M2X@;s@2@AsrAB@ ,@r@@@        @@@@M@2@@ 2      @@  @@   @@@@ :@@@@@@@     s@@@@@@X                      .@M  #.             ;s           @@@#
          #@@@2i@  ;              ;,rAGH@@   # @  . .,      ;r95G@; sr;r@  @.  :@@@@B       @@@@,,   i  @@& @@@  X    s#@@hH@@@ @@     5  @@@@@@@@#.           ;  @@r      .r.,; .  s   :.       s@ @@XH
           @@@@9@  @@ @@,@@G3i#M.          ;@; @      .. .      ,,H3MAr@, @9       @@@@A      r :&@@9    #    . @@@@@ ,5@;Gs@@s2@@@     : @@3, i@@@@@@@@@#r      ,                   ;   .i    H@@ ;@X@ 
           @@@@#@s  @ @  M;   @@ @@:@@@i,#       rH2X3s     ,.,,     ,.@ @H:,# :ir,  .#@@@@,  rh    ;@B@@@@@@   , @@:HX@, r@#Hi@@@@@,                 .5h@@@@@@h@@@#GS;                       @@M.@@5 #2
            @@@AM@  @.@  @i   @  @@ @,   @  @ ;@ s     ,rS2H,         A  @ S@@i2.,;2i.   ,@@@ @      @@, ,@@  @@@@    @@X@@@ :    :@#        @@@@@@#@@@@@     .@M#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@,,@@@#@@@@@@@2@@@, @
            @@@@;@, @@   @    @ ;@@@ r   @  @ ,@  @@@@@@#.    ,i32;   @ @     ;Hh@@MX,r.i    :      @@: #@@  @@@@@sr@@    M: @@@@X  @      @@@@@@@ @@A@@@AA@.     @                2@@@@@,2@ @S @  @#s3@
5           ;@@@G@r @@  .2:   @  @@@.M9@@@  @ @@ @@      3@@@2s:   2s@  @          iA@@@@h,@ @     @@@ @@@    .:#S 5@@ XG@:  r r@r @@.   :@S    @@ @@@@@@ @@@B        s@@@@@@@@@@@     :@@M@ @@ @X  @@ @
.9           @@@@M@ ,@ i.    @@   @@#@,.@@  @ @,A@        @@@@@G i;.s:    5Gr:          .S@ @      @@ @S@@@@&     A;@:@ #@ :@@@@@ ;h:    @;@@A  @@ @      A@5@@      @@&.S.  ;.@@@@;.    @G@ H@     @@ :
 @           @@@@H@  @     @@@@;  h2@    @  @ H@@@@;, .5@@@@@@     s @ @s52r,   ,. ,      # @ ,   @@i @B   @@@@@@.@@@r  @  @ r3@. @@r   @@ ;M@G.@  @ #@@@: @ MM#    @ #@ rA#@  M@ @ @3   @Sh  @@@@  .X S
 .9          ;@@@r@  @A@@@@,    B@@@@@ s@@A @ 3@    ,r@@@@@@@     @  r @     @@@#2  : .:;@ @   ,  @@ @M@@@@r     @h@ : @@5 X      @@5H@5r@@@@s r@ h@ ;B A r@ i.@,  @@ sA @. @5 5@ @ @@   @s ;@@@@X@ @@ h
M @           @@@@@  @#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@   @@ @ @@5     3@@@@3     @  h @    ;@s:@@@@@@@@irs @     @@A @     5@@@@,# r,..  52@@@@@@@@i:  X@:     &@ @@ #@@@, @ @;iS  @@ r@ 5r M@  @ @ @@.  @@@@@5   2  @ @
A .X          @@@@H. @@   3    r @i@@@   @@ @ @    S@@@@@@:    sh   @ @   @@@@   3@@@@   @ i     @@  .   ;r;   A@;.r2@@@A @ ,    r32   @&@@@@@;@@ @@@@@  . @ @ 2@@A@@ G@ @M M@  @ G @@@   @@;     S  @@S
 @ @          B@@@@@ ;@ .         &@@@@ @M@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@     MS    @ @ ;@@.    ,, @@   .@H  .: M@@ @@@@.;2@@@r :        .@. ;:2A2A@   @ @  .rrXr @@@,h@@@@@ @@S:  @@ 9@     @  @:  @@@3X @  ; r@@@  @  
 @ @           @@@A@  @   r       @Mh@; : @X  @r   s5H@@     @r ..: @ @ #99@@@@@@@@@   iA;@     @@; @:@  @    @ @@@:r@@@@ i       ;#   @ @ ;, , @ @   @  H     @;  @H .@@@@@@@  @@@@@;.   @@9  ,  r  @@ 
 ;  #          @@@#@  @iG    . ;,.& r@@   @@s MB            @.  ..  @ @               @ @ @  .  @@ r@X  G : :@9@r@@ ;    .@@@@ .#srH   @ , &    @,@:@H@@.@ S:2 H   @ ,          @@    r@  @ @@,  . ; r@@
 ;H @          @@@@@, @2@&; @M@@: @@2@@H@ @ X @@           @   ,    @ @             :B  @ @     @@ @; 3i ;  @9 @B; i.,  @i@@@  5  rS   @.@r  @@@@ B 3&,G @AX@3;@   @         @  @@H   @@  @2      ;#  @@
@@@ 3.         r@@@@# @@@@@@@H@@ .  @@@@@  @  ;@  s:B:_@    @isX @ @ r,.        25   @ @     @@ @ M         @  h .   @i;:  2   @2   @ :  @@@@@A@r@.i@ @ r  @@   @  @@@@  @@@ @@A@@i    @;  , @@@@  @#
  @  @          @@@@@ @@@@@@@&@s@5  @@3X@ i@&  @                    @ @         ,,      @ @ .,  @@ @   .    .  @ ,       X     .  5r   @ 5      ,X@ r:@@ @.   .@   @ @&5H  @@@@ @@  i@@#  @@ @@@@@@@  @@
2@@, @          @@@A@ M@@@@@@@s@:X:@@@.;X@@@@  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@A#9AA2r:iBh&r@ @  .  @@ s@Gh55222hi @.;;2;;: 5r#: . :  5i   @ @  : . :S@2@@;@ @     #:  @      @@@@@i3@     9  ,@@@@@  @@  @@
G@@@ @   .      @@@@@  @@@@@@@@@@H 9@@@@#9@@@  @M#@M@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @     @@3 @@@@@@@@@@.@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@   @ @@@@@@@@#@@ @;@ @@@@@@@r  @B:AAr&@@@@@S@@@@@@@@   @@@@@. @@   #
r@@@ 2:      .  @@@G@i @@@@@@##@@s @@@@@@@@@@  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@#@#@@#@@ @@@#@@h@@@@@@@#sBG@ @     @@@ @@@@@@@@@@G@@@@@@@@@@ @@@#SA@@@@   @ S;,.;:2r.hH;@@@i9@@@@@@r  @@@@@@ @@@@@,2@@#@@@@   @@@@@H @:   @
     ,s      .  @@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@i @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@M@#@,&     r@@ H                 . .          @   @M                       M  @@@@@@ @@@@S ;@@@@@@@,  @@@@@@ @;   @
      @         @@@@B@ # ,,r&AM@@@H@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ &M;,                A      @@ : ;,,A:.;.;: :    .          . @   @@     .r,r;..:  :  .   :@  S:@@@@ @@@@# ,@@@@@@@   :r    :2i   @
      @         9@@@@@                                                           ,s2XS&.XHr,  .  @@  :   s ,:9:r ;;@:2:;sr  :,;   .@    @@r:.     .  :  ;    r,@   &@@@@@ :@@#   @@@@2:h   @@  .   A   @
  .   @         9@@, i    s; i:siX;ss.;srr ;;rS::;;5r2#@@M@2@#H3MGsX;; i ,,, ,: :          @  .  ;@@G  i  .  ,.  ,,.:,,;rs:;:  .X  .  . @@ S&@A@h2@##@H@@@@@@@H@    @@@@@ @@A@S.:@.    S   @@  , ; @   @
. r;.i@         s@@@@@  i: .  .:    ,  .  ,. 2,.ir;i            ;  Xs::@:i:HA2&::2M.,.:. X:@       9@@,;;BAhHrr.     ;   ;  @A22@h@@    H@i.@rh@i2@,h@ @A:. .@ @    @@    X:           A   M@  .   @i, @
 ,r; ,@          @@@#@3 ,HM,,i;,3i#s. rSrs2h,;  .  5 :,;;X;: .5 ,. ;. s, :3 :s :  ;;,  @  .. .  @@&       ; ,i@@@@@@@B@hh@@Sr@ ;@     @5 @  @. 2:;S:5S9HHs@ @    @@              ;  r   @@          .
   s X@          @@@@@@@:     S;; ,    ,.  r.i rXr.; r.; ,  ,s:;;  Gr iHi;. :.  . . 3rrHAi@  .,    @@G r@&@@#@MGA@:r@X#Mr@5,G@.S#5s@h    @@ 9& @S AX;@ ;@;;i @ @:   @@ ;hB:H5@@r;,     r   i@    ;@@@@MA
 Hi#@H           @,;@@@@@@@ , :;, ,: ;.  ;: ;@rS,, @ s :   r5@iS3@:  , Xr.X  :,:&&3@@;#2         :  @@@H3@ @ 2r::@@X.S#,,X@:;@Ai&@ 2@    @@ r@.2@,rMr@#2@;S@r@@@A   @@@@@@ir         . r5. @@@@@@r,     
.rh;r             @Mh@#M@@@s@G:rir ...r;r;  r,  ,    XSS#3@; :  5;9,Hr::,:2r@A@r2,         @    .   H@@..s .A;M:SM&5r 3,.,A3s @,;S#r@     @@ @@@@M@@5H;2. :.2   rsi,;         .      .  .rr             
:s&#@  ,..., 2:9: @@@@@@@@@   r;M@2,@:B. 2rMr;2@i ,:2;   : rr@@#r,;@MX@2sS         ,M@@@@B@@.        @@@S33ir9A AX2@,@is#:M2r;9X.;M2@@    @;              .   :            :    ,     .                 
  ;.@ ., ;s ,.9,s.@@@@h9H#@,X5Sr;h; ,s:iSr;2,,,:sXsHr,,M:r,2     2          r3#@@@@@&25 iir;@   . .  A@@ ,s. .:2: ,2;rs;,:.2r3A#ri:  r rs:   ,  .  ..      ..      ..  .    ,,.  . .                    


It's my favourite Escher print, and I was told some time ago that it represented a Riemann surface, and thus was my motivation for going to the lectures in the first place. I can't quite see the resemblance myself. Incidentally, Senglea is not a long way from Selasca, where Riemann died.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.