Princess Jo and Her Super Cape

Book 1: Saving Mr. Turtle

by Noelle Bryant

2016

This book appeared in my Little Free Library.

I do not like it. Princess Jo lives in a big old castle on a hill. "Princess Jo loved to help creatures in need and she longed to make people happy whenever she could." Ok, so, lifetime goal, help others and make them happy. Who does she help? Mr. Turtle is flipped on his back and gosh, Princess Jo spins, turns into her super caped self and helps Mr. Turtle.

The back of the book says that this is "a fun and empowering series about a princess who also has super powers." Gosh, but what about the kids who are not princesses and don't have a super cape? And the entire beautiful place, with castle, flowers, a pond, rolling hills, appears to be owned by Princess Jo's parents. No poverty, no city, no war, well, I guess it's escapism. Our Princess Jo and her Super Cape are happy with their day if they can make one person smile. I hate the message that the most important thing a girl can do is make other people smile. Couldn't Princess Jo clean up a polluted pond with her friends, so Mr. Turtle could breathe? And why would a girl need a super cape or to be a princess in order to turn a turtle from its back to its feet? She doesn't get muddy either. The kids I know would be in the pond immediately.

Do you think the "boy" oriented books will now add that the super powered boy is also a prince? I don't think so.

Here is the website: https://ohhappyplay.com/helloprincessjo/.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.