Plantain Custard Ring

Ingredients:

  • 5 cups finely shredded young plantain leaves
  • 3 cups milk
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup dry bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Clean and wash the plantain leaves under running water. Shred in fork-sized pieces. In the top of a double boiler, scald the milk and set aside. Put a 10-inch heavy skillet on high for 1 minute. Add the bacon slices and fry them crisp. With a slotted spoon remove bacon slices and drain on paper towels, setting bacon fat aside. Crumble with your fingers (note: crumbling bacon with your bare hands can be kinda icky as the smell and greasy feeling will not easily wash off and may stay on your hands for days. Try crumbling with plastic sandwich bags over your hands.)

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with an electric blender until light and fluffy. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and scalded milk. Add the shredded plantain leaves, crumbled bacon, and bacon fat together with the bread crumbs. Stir with two forks until all leaves are well coated and the mixture is well blended.

Butter a 2-quart ring mold, making sure the ring is well-greased. Add the mixture, flattening it with a spoon. Place the mold in the pan with hot water. Put the water bath with the mold in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.

Cool to room temperature and unmold on a large platter. Fill the center with creamed peas or creamed eggs. Serves six

Back to Common Plantain
Back to The Edible Wild

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.