Made For TV movie, 2000. Directed by Martyn Burke. Running time: 94 minutes.

This movie (more or less) chronicles the rise of the personal computer, from the early eighties until the nineties. Although I'd like to give it crap because it's a TNT movie, it's actually very good. It stars Noah Wyle as Steve Jobs, and Anthony Michael Hall as Bill Gates. And now, having watched this movie several times since I first posted this writeup, I have to say: Hall does a wonderful job. There's, I don't know, an air of casual, imperceptible, subconscious arrogance to him in the latter half of the film that seems to fit just right.

Pirates is a somewhat factual account of the vast and fast expansion of Apple Computers and the Microsoft Corporation from nothing, into two of the largest computer-oriented firms in the world. A good portion of the plot is centred around Gates's relationship with Steve Jobs and Apple; in particular, the reverse engineering of Mac OS into Windows. At this point, the rivalry between Jobs and Gates comes to the fore.

The movie picks up a few years later, with Jobs back in the seat of power (after the splitting of Macintosh and Apple), and an apparent alliance with--but maybe ceasefire is a better term--between Gates and Jobs.

Also of note are the appearances of characters with whom any somewhat computer savvy person will know--names like Steve Wozniak and Steve Ballmer. Personally, I found it interesting to see a movie about people who are still alive and talked about (and fought over, flamed about, derided) this very day.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.