(1)A unit of measure for liquids. Sometimes taken to refer especially to alcoholic liquids.
(2)Unofficial unit of currency in Ireland

("You owe me £5."
"Sure I'll buy you a couple of pints."
"Fair enough then.")

Pint is a "new media" user group in Portland, Oregon. They meet for drinks on the third Thursday of every month to have beer, chat about the internet industry and mainly try and get laid.

From the site pint.org:
Hosted monthly at an exclusive locale, Pint of Portland provides a casual venue for interactive professionals to mix and mingle. Please be advised—this is not a technical discussion group! Pint of Portland is a place where interactives get together to discuss the philosophies of the medium as well as have a few drinks. No presentations, no guest speakers, and no free mouse pads. Our only rule is that you FOLLOW THE METHOD.

For those of you wondering, this is THE METHOD:
The idea is simple: you want to expand your network. So, when you arrive on the scene, locate someone you do not know who is without drink, find out what they'd like to drink, and then buy it for them! Chances are you will receive your own drink soon, so hang steady while you make your new acquaintance.
A British pint is larger than an American pint - 20 as opposed to 16 fluid ounces. A British fluid ounce, however, is about 4% smaller than an American fluid ounce. A British fluid ounce of water actually weighs an ounce.

Because of the weights and measures act of (1985), the only things you can buy by the pint in Britain now are milk and beer. The weights and measures act mandated that items must always be priced by their metric weight/volume. The act made exceptions for some goods that were traditionally sold in certain sizes - draught beer and milk being the most notable (Imagine nipping out for a litre...)1.

In the interest of having a single standard, the British pint is now defined as a metric measurement, equivalent to 568 ml.

1 - However, due to the ever increasing influence of the European free market, it's becoming more and more common to see beer sold in 330, 440 and 500 ml bottles and cans.

Pint (?), n. [OE. pinte, F. pinte, fr. Sp. pinta spot, mark, pint, fr. pintar to paint; a mark for a pint prob. having been made on or in a larger measure. See Paint.]

A measure of capacity, equal to half a quart, or four gills, -- used in liquid and dry measures. See Quart.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pint, n. Zool.

The laughing gull.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.