(Sektion 4 : Philosophische Untersuchungen von Ludwig Wittgenstein).

Wittgenstein analogizes the copy theory of meaning to a more basic linguistic structure -- rather than words, now, even letters are supposed to be representative copies. In the picture described here, Wittgenstein suggests that letters copy the sounds that they make when spoken aloud. The obvious force of this analogy is to help us see just how strange a copy theory of meaning is, when set in other contexts.


4. Denk dir eine Schrift, in welcher Buschstaben zur Bezeichnung von Lauten benützt würdern, aber auch zur Bezeichnung der Betonung und als Interpunktionszeichen. (Eine Schrift kann man auffassen als eine Sprache zur Bescrheibung von Lautbildern.) Denk dir nun, daß Einer jene Schrift so verstünde, also entspräche einfach jedem Buchstaben ein Laut und als hätten die Buchstaben nicht auch ganz andere Funktionen. So einer, zu einfachen, Auffasung der Schrift gleicht Augustinus' Auffassung der Sprache.


4. Imagine a script in which the letters were used to stand for sounds, but also as signs of emphasis and as punctuation. (A script can be conceived of as a language for describing sound patterns.) Now imagine that someone understands this script as correspondence between the letters and the sounds, and as if the letters did not also have completely different functions. For someone to simplify the concept of this script is equal to Augustine's conception of language.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.