The core of Amtrak's Northeast operations.

It is located between 29th and 30th Street, just across the Schuylkill River from Center City Philadelphia. Travelers have easy connections to and from SEPTA regional rail trains, and to the SEPTA Market-Frankford Line.

The building itself is very impressive. It was built in 1934, and contains approximately 562,000 gross square feet. (http://www.30thstreetstation.com). A good portion of that space is in the four towers that contain the Amtrak control center, and a portion is used by SEPTA for their regional rail station. There are also many restaurants, including McDonald's, Subway, Au Bon Pain, Baskin Robbins, two Auntie Anne's Pretzels stores and two Dunkin Doughnuts stores. There is also buffet-style chinese food, Delilah's ("southern" food), and "american food". Other shops include a very large newsstand, a candy shop, and Bridgewater's Pub.

According to Amtrak's website, 3,764,734 people boarded or left a train at 30th Street in 2001, making it the 2nd busiest station in Amtrak's network. Out of 30th Street, one can catch trains going to as far away as Miami and Chicago. There are also many trains that go to Harrisburg. In addition, New Jersey Transit also operates a local train in the Amtrak section to Atlantic City, New Jersey. However, most travelers in and out of 30th Street are heading for either The City, Washington, or Boston.

It's a closely guarded secret that the cheapest way to get to New York is by taking the SEPTA R7 Line to Trenton, then transferring to New Jersey Transit for the rest of the way. Amtrak doesn't want you to know that you can do this, but I'm telling you because I like you.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.