This is a really simple little mix of full flavoured ingredients that will add so much to a simple piece of grilled fish. These are not subtle tastes, they have the punch and acid needed to cut through a strongly flavoured piece of fish, such as sardines, mackerel or tuna. At my restaurant we have been serving this alongside whole garfish, lightly dusted in sumac and flour, then quickly deep fried. This would also be fine with grilled breast of chicken and if you substituted chopped anchovy for the feta, it would make a fine accompaniment to fillet of beef.

Ingredients

  • ½ bunch Italian or flat leaf parsley
  • 1 lemon, peeled and segmented*
  • 1 Tablespoon small capers, rinsed
  • 2 Tablespoons black olives, pitted and sliced
  • 50 gm (2 oz) firm feta cheese, cut into small dice
  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • Tiny pinch sea salt

    Method

    Pick the parsley leaves off the stalks, tearing any larger ones in half and wash thoroughly. Dry in a salad spinner if you have one, or simply pat dry in a clean tea towel. Place all ingredients except oil, salt and pepper into a small bowl and gently combine. Set aside while you cook the fish. When ready to serve, add the oil and seasonings and toss through and place a small amount alongside your fish of choice.

    Makes 6-8 portions.

    * To segment a lemon, take a small sharp knife and slice 1 cm from the top and base of a lemon. stand the lemon up and run the knife through the skin and pith until the lemon flesh is exposed. Turn the lemon and continue until there is no pith or skin on the left. Lay the lemon on it's side and cut the segments out using the membranes as a guide. Remove any seeds. You should be left with a small pile of lemon "fillets". This method works for any citrus fruit, provided it is large enough.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.