Pahrump is in many ways the polar opposite of Tonopah, Nevada. Pahrump sits at the southern edge of Nye County not far from Las Vegas, while Tonopah is pinched between two slivers of (mostly empty) Esmeralda County, two-thirds of the way toward the county's northern edge and is a good ways away from anything. Pahrump has two legal brothels; Tonopah does not have any. Pahrump is mainly a bedroom community for Las Vegas, while Tonopah is too far away from any major cities for anyone sane to consider commuting from it. Pahrump is in the flatlands, with furnace-like heat in the summer (often over 95 degrees) but moderate low temperatures in the winter; Tonopah, being up in the mountains, is much cooler in the summer but unfortunately is freezing in the winter with occasional snow. Pahrump has famous residents such as Michael Jackson and paranormal talk radio host Art Bell, as well as more infamous residents such as brothel owner Dennis Hof, who was posthumously elected to the Nevada Assembly in 2018.

Despite having a population ten times larger than Tonopah, Pahrump is not the county seat, but it does have a plethora of county offices for one simple reason: that's where the people are. Like Tonopah, Pahrump is an unincorporated town, with some local tasks (zoning, recreation, fire) handled by a town advisory board but most functions are handled by the county.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.