The Oregon City Municipal Elevator is an elevator located in Oregon City that connects the lower part of the city to the upper part of the city. Oregon City is located along the Willamette River, and the lower parts of the city are on a terrace immediately next to the river, while most of the city is located about 100 feet higher, with a sheer cliff separating them. The lower part of the city also functions as a "downtown", being the original, denser part of the city, including most of the old retail businesses and the government buildings. Ways over the cliff are circuitous and difficult.

The original elevator was built in 1915, and after forty years of service, was replaced with the current structure in 1955, which has served until now. The elevator has an operator (and this is the only operated elevator I can remember being in), and is free to ride, and is open from morning to evening. It also has a large enclosed viewing platform at the top, with a 270 degree view of the Willamette River, Willamette Falls, and downtown Oregon City. Entrance to the elevator on the lower side is under the railroad tracks that go through the middle of Oregon City. Oregon City is fairly densely packed in its old town, with industrial and transportation facilities being piled into the a few blocks between the river and the cliff.

The elevator is of practical use, and is also important as a tourist landmark in Oregon City, which has a fair amount of tourists visiting. The elevator is also on the National Registry of Historic Places. According to the official webpage for the elevator, it is one of four municipal elevators in the world.


https://www.orcity.org/publicworks/municipal-elevator

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.