Quotation from the Bhagavad Gita famously quoted by J. Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the detonation of the first atomic bomb.

Also quoted numerous times by overly melodramatic players of Unreal Tournament upon detonation of the Redeemer weapon.

In the the GURPS Technomancer RPG world by David Pulver, this phrase completed a necromantic ritual begun centuries before that in combination with the detonation of the bomb brought magic back to the Earth.

From then on out, any atomic or nuclear explosions form a manastorm, kind of like a standing magical tornado. there have been two detonations in Technomancer; the original Trinity blast and an Antarctic blast by Russia. A third would cause the entire world to be engulfed by a manastorm, so don't go nuking people. Not that you need to when you can lob big-ass fireballs.

This famous quote is from the Eleventh Chapter of the Bhagavad-gita, entitled Visva-Rupa-Darsana-yoga, or the "Yoga of Theophany", the chapter in which Krishna displays His Universal form--His divine Opulence--to Arjuna.

In full, the verse is as follows:

sri-bhagavan uvaca:
kalo 'smi loka-ksaya-krt pravrddho
lokan samahartum iha pravrttah /
rte 'pi tvam na bhavisyanti sarve
ye 'vasthitah pratyanikesu yodhah //

The Lord said: "Time [death] I am, the destroyer of the worlds, who has come to annihilate everyone. Even without your taking part all those arrayed in the [two] opposing ranks will be slain!"

(Gita vs. 11.32
trans. after Swami Tripurari)

Some translators, including Bhaktivedanta Swami render rte 'pi tvam ("Even without your taking part..."), as "With the exception of you [the Pandavas]...". Either interpretation is valid in this context. In his Prakasika-vrtti commentary, Srila Narayana Maharaja of the Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti in Mathura explains:

Sri Bhagavan tells Arjuna, "I am all-destroying time and at present I have accepted this gigantic form. I am present here to annihiliate Duryodhana and others. The result of My mission will be that, except for you the five Pandavas, no one on this battlefield will remain alive. Even without your endeavour of the efforts of other warriors like you, all will be devoured within the jaws of terrible time, because in My form as time I have already taken their lives. Those heroes who are present on both sides will definitely enter the mouth of death, even without doing battle. Therefore, O Arjuna, if you remain aloof from the battle, you will fall down from your status as a ksatriya because you have neglected your sva-dharma and still they will not be saved."

Garbage day. The collectors of refuse often leave the cans turned upside-down, especially in the rain. I prefer this to the days when they toss them carelessly on their sides. On those occasions they roll into the street or wander down the way, rolling with the wind. On this morning I find the dulled silver pail upright, lid alongside.

A small assembly of maggots roil round the bottom, bred I assume in some piece of decayed food.

I turn the can over onto the edge of the road and tap the bottom. The tiny creatures writhe on the pavement. On a sunnier day their white flesh might quickly bake and become one with the road, but the cloud cover offers some protection. I restore the can to its regular place.

I check on them a little later. The curb proves too steep for them to climb, though they try and roll. Their Sisyphean attempts to reach the grass spread them over vast inches along the edge of the street.

When I return again, I notice a gathering of those tiny ants, ants who could hang out on a punctuation mark. They have marshaled their forces and surround each maggot. These twist and turn and try to buck the ants. I wonder if some larger, more formidable formicidae will take over the operation. Of course, the maggots may be too tiny and beneath the notice of them.

By the end of the afternoon, the ants have carried away or consumed the bodies, erasing all trace of the maggots' existence.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.