I just heard those dreaded words “There’s been an accident” from my ex-wife.

After getting that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and my heart jumping through my throat she informed me that Anna was involved in a wreck on her way to school this morning. Save for the air bags deploying and a shattered windshield to the car the only physical damage she suffered was a slight concussion and a badly bruised ego. Apparently the other driver was quite abusive and caused her more emotional distress than what was necessary. She’s at home now and resting and will most likely miss a few days of school.

The feeling in my stomach is now gone and my heart is back in my chest where it belongs but it’s beating a little faster than it was before.

I guess it’s just another reminder of how fleeting life is and how we should try and savor each and every minute of it.

At times, I tend to forget that and focus my concentration on trivial matters like who said or did what to whom. I need to remind myself that there’s much more important things that need to be tended to and to do so with a sense of urgency.

Honey, if you ever decide to read this, you’ll know what I’m talking about. As I said to you a while ago, water has a cleansing effect and it’s time for both of us to come clean.

On an unrelated matter, she got to speak on the phone to President Barack Obama for a few minutes a couple of days before the election. He had one of his underlings make random calls to volunteers for his campaign and then he got on and just wanted to thank them for their efforts.

Politics aside, I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.