A phrase I heard many times while I was in Australia
. Although they speak english, their everyday language
is so much different than American's. For example:
- aluminum is aluminium
- They say "you reckon" a lot
- R's in the middle of words are often silent, so Carnarvon become Canavon.
- You wouldn't root for your hometown team unless you were a slut. Root is a slang term similar to fuck, in the sexual sense.
- Anyone can call you love
- Gimp is not a derogatory term for someone who is handicapped; it is something like an S&M slave.
- They'll laugh at you if you refer to someone who is rich as having all kinds of money. They would say heaps of money.
- Like in Britain, french fries are chips.
- Coffee with milk is a white coffee.
- Your friends are your mates.
- A cooler is an esky (or is it eskie).
- You don't put gas in your car; it's petrol.
Just as an fyi, Foster's isn't really Australian for beer. In Queensland, they drink a lot of XXXX.