This is an early work (published in 1985) by now Vancouver-based (but at the time New York-based) author Spider Robinson, best known for his Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series. He has also written, with the aid of his wife Jeannie, the farily well-known Stardance series. Night of Power however, is by-far one of his most interesting works, which is quite likely part of why it is the hardest to find.

Night of Power tells the story of a group of civil-rights activists who take-over Manhattan to force the government to address racial inequality. Given its subject matter, it is no great surprise that this book is no longer in print, especially given the parallels between this book's plot and the attacks on Manhattan on September 11, 2001. Spider now says that he would not be surprised if this book was never printed again. All I can say, is shame on his publishers (in this case, Baen Books). They are willing to go out on a limb with him and put out a Jazz cd where he sings songs from Callahan's but will not print his most political and arguably best novel simply because they fear that it may have become too controversial.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.