A small, clique-ish town in Mississippi right on the river. The town hosts some fantastic restaurants and lots of old antebellum houses with very nice gardens that you can tour.

The town, despite being in the heart of Dixie, was mostly populated with Union sympathizers during the War. This is mostly due to the fact that the very wealthy citizens of that fair hamlet owed their wealth to the factories of the North. Natchez was a cotton boom-town, along with other fruits of the soil.

Natchez also has the distinction of being the first to discover the perils of paper wealth. The town was extremely rich--more than half of America's millionaires called Natchez home--but most of that wealth was the land the wealthy owned. Land that, without the extremely cheap labor of slavery, was worthless. However, rich does not equal smart--the Union sympathizers in the town allowed it to be a staging point without having fired a shot. After the war, and suddenly finding themselves with millions of acres of non-producing land, with no economically viable way of planting and harvesting that land, the millionaires of Natchez suddenly found themselves begging.

But they left some nice houses you can pay a few bucks to ogle at.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.