Municipal Stadium served as home of the Cleveland Rams from 1937-1945, the Cleveland Browns from 1946-1995, and the Cleveland Indians from 1931-1993. The Indians only used the stadium, which had a capacity of 78,512, until 1947 when Bill Veeck permanently moved them in, leaving behind League Park. The stadium was actually built with the hope of landing the 1932 Olympic Games, which, were awarded to Los Angeles.

Municipal Stadium was the name of the ballpark used by the Kansas City A's (1955-1967), the Kansas City Royals for their first four years (1969-1972), and the Kansas City Monarchs. Originally named Muehlebach Field for George Muehlebach, owner of the Kansas City Blues, who built the park in 1923. In 1955, the Philadelphia A's moved out of of Shibe Park to Kansas City, and the park was renamed Municipal Stadium. Before leaving for Oakland in 1967, A's owner Charlie Finley often tinkered with the park, including adding a hastily assembled "Pennant Porch" 296 feet down the right field line.

The Municipal Stadium in Cleveland was originally named Lakefront Stadium. Near the end of its existence, it was called Cleveland Stadium, or, more commonly, "The Mistake By The Lake," for both its wonderful view of Lake Erie and the Cleveland Indians' miserable attendance.

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.