The Minneapolis Saint Paul International Film Festival is organized by Minnesota Film Arts, a "non-profit organization dedicated to fostering an active and living appreciation of the film arts in the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota" (www.mnfilmarts.org).

The festival is now in its 24th year and is highlighting Scandinavian film and the director Arturo Ripstein, a Mexican filmaker who has sought to focus his work on social and political issues, diverging from the cinematic tradition that was prominent in Mexico when he first came onto the scene in the 1960s.

The 2006 festival runs from April 20th-30th, screening movies in the following locations:

  • Oak Street Cinema- located near the intersection of Oak Street and Washington Avenue in the University of Minnesota's Stadium Village neighborhood. This theater is run by Minnesota Film Arts. When the film festival is not in session, the Oak Street screens first-run independent films but is not limited to these. Excellent films from the past are shown as well, such as the work of Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai).
  • Riverview Theater- located in Southeast Minneapolis, this neighborhood theater has preserved its 1950s decor and only charges $2 for tickets (film festival movies do not count, unfortunately). Like most "dollar theaters" the movies at the Riverview run a little later than they do at most theaters, but it is definitely worth the wait. They also have midnight showings of older favorites, like The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
  • Block E- Crown Theaters has a location in the wretched commercial failure and downtown Minneapolis monstrosity known as Block E. Apparently, someone at MN Film Arts has decided that this would be a good location to include in the film festival.
  • The Bell Auditorium- this theater is also located on the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus, near Dinkytown. The auditorium is part of the Bell Museum of Natural History. During most of the year, it is home to MN Film Arts' documentary film selections.
  • Landmark Edina Theatre- this theater is technically outside of the Twin Cities, but is still situated within the greater Twin Cities metro area and is very close to the Minneapolis border. It is located near the intersection of 50th Street and France Avenue.

Interestingly enough, none of the theaters participating in the Minneapolis Saint Paul International Film Festival are located in Saint Paul. The Capital City gets the shaft once again.

Best of the Fest will immediately follow the film festival, and runs from May 1st through the 7th.

Recommended Reading
www.mspfilmfest.org
www.mnfilmarts.org
www.theriverviewtheater.com
www.landmarktheaters.com
Marsh, Steve. "Q: When is a Mall Not Really a Mall? A: When It's Block E." City Pages. Volume 25, Issue 1220. April 21, 2004.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.