Proof positive that I am an American: given that America is a consumer nation, yesterday I lept at the chance to grab a package of new Milk Changer Oreos from the big Nabisco display rack at the local Stop and Shop. Here is exactly what went through my mind as I saw these: "Hey, look! Oreos that change the color of milk! That's gotta be loaded with so much artificial crap! I gotta get it!"

I am such the whupped consumer.

So, yeah, I bought these puppies with a mixture of morbid curiosity and childlike delight. There's even an enticing notice right on the package that outlines the fun times ahead:

Hey Mom & Dad, your kids will have so much FUN with Milk Changer Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies they might even get red on their teeth, tongue and fingers! DON'T WORRY, it's harmless and washes off fingers with soap and warm water.
That was the selling point. The package also boasts the sandwiches' orange colored creme that leaves red swirls when you dunk 'em in milk. Sold.

The taste test occurred this afternoon between episodes of The Simpsons. A stack of ten Oreos was culled from the package and placed on the table in front of me: five would be dry for the twist test and five would be reserved for the all important (and crucial to the product) dunk test.

The dry test was pretty run of the mill. They twist just like normal Oreos, but for some reason or another (and I'm sure it's the infusion of artificial colorings talking here and not proper scientific method), these things just don't taste quite right to me. There's something more chemical than normal, a strange, not-quite-right aftertaste that I pray milk will resolve.

Thankfully, that taste washes right away. The dunk test goes off without a hitch: sure enough, after two or three cookies, you have a pink glass of milk, and the drippings from the dunked Oreo leave nifty little vermillion fractal patterns on the surface of whatever your prefered squeezed dairy beverage is.

If you're not so worried about putting highly artificial crap in your kids' bellies, this is kind of a fun (and messy -- kids love that) snacktime addition. Besides, there's just something about a food product that proudly advertises on the back of the package "The more you dunk, the more red you see!"

Ingredients:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 3 cookies (34g) Servings Per Container about 17 ----------------------------------- Calories 160 Calories from Fat 60 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Total Fat 7g 11% Saturated Fat 1.5g 7% Cholestrol 0mg 0% Sodium 210mg 9% Total Carbohydrate 24g 8% Dietary Fiber 1g 4% Sugars 13g Protein 2g ------------------------------------ Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Manufactured by Nabisco. Details for a 20 oz. package. YMMV.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.