In 1932, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary established Marymount Junior College on Sunset Boulevard in Westwood. Marymount was the first Catholic junior college in California and began as a liberal arts college for women. Later on in 1947, the College received accreditation as a four-year college.

In 1960, the College moved to a site on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The new campus included dormitories for on-campus residential living, an auditorium, dining facility, a library and a chapel.

The year 1967 found the College preparing for a merger with Loyola University of Los Angeles in Westchester. Marymount separated its two-year program, which remained on the Palos Verdes campus, from the four-year and in 1968 the four-year college moved to the Loyola campus. The Marymount two-year program remained incorporated as a separate institution and received accreditation as such in 1971. In 1973, the merger was finalized and became a new entity: Loyola Marymount University (LMU).

Marymount moved to its present site in 1975 and added the Weekend College component to the College in 1983.


(Taken from: http://www.marymountpv.edu/why/history.asp)

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.