An amalgam of "marketing" and "architecture", this word describes a new software or networking architecture which doesn't actually exist outside of a company's marketing department. Accurately applied to, for instance, Microsoft's .NET platform.

The concept of a "Marketecture" can be traced back to Larry Ellison's business strategy at Oracle in the 1980's. (The name came later of course.)

The point of a Marketecture is to announce that your company is doing something major, that will affect every aspect of their clients' (and potential clients') business. The details can be left vague - the point is to get the catchy buzzwords out so that they're on everyone's lips. It doesn't matter if the product isn't ready yet (or, in many cases, if it even exists). When the product finally materialises, it doesn't matter too much if it's completely different to what was promised, as by now (if everything has gone to plan) people will have forgotten about the original announcement.

Today, this kind of publicity exercise is the norm (look at .NET, xbox, early Java, "It", anything Apple have ever written in a press release, etc.) but in the late 1970's and early 1980's it was pretty audacious stuff.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.