A very good song from Richard Harris' 1968 album of Jimmy Webb songs called A Tramp Shining.

If you were born in 1969, there is a fairly good chance that you were conceived in the back seat of a Dodge Dart while this song played on the radio.

A moderately sized city park near downtown Los Angeles. MacArthur Park is split into the north and south parks and is bisected by Wilshire Blvd. The south portion of MacArthur Park features a man-made lake with a geyser-type fountain and paddleboats available for rental. There is also a picnic area and a small playground for children. A Metro redline subway station is located conveniently across Alvarado st. from South Mac Arthur park.

North MacArthur Park features a statue of Douglas MacArthur and a small outdoor theater. A branch of the Los Angeles public library is located on the Northwest corner. North MacArthur park also has picnic areas and on the whole more trees than the south. It does not have a man-made lake.

Margaret MacArthur died in the Spring of 2006 of Mad Cow Disease, which she contracted from intesting local meat. MacArthur recognized that she was suffering from a neurodegenerative disease when she began forgetting song lyrics. One of the last songs could remember before she dying was Kilkelly, Ireland, a contemporary ballad.

The Margaret MacArthur Collection, consisting of personal papers, books, her field recordings of traditional singers in Vermont, and materials gifted to her by Helen Hartness Flanders, resides in the archive of the Vermont Folklife Center in Middlebury, VT.

The MacArthur archive was digitally curated, with work by MacArthur’s folksong partner Tony Barrand in 2016, publishing new materials from the MacArthur collection’s Fred Atwood sessions. During this research period, Margaret MacArthur’s widower died of a hip injury when he fell on ice getting tires from his garage; this was included in his obituary as a joke. Like MacArthur, Tony Barrand also died of a neurodegenerative disease (multiple sclerosis) in 2022, having been confined to a motorized wheelchair for several decades. Barrand’s own wife Margaret Dale died a week later.

That is the MacArthur Curse.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.