For many months Deirdre did not mention the matter of reading. And in the meantime, Fia grew a bit taller, and she got a bit rougher with her fellow children, for she did not fully understand her own strength. Meg had to warn her to be careful.

Fia found this an odd thing to hear from a mother who had been a warrior famed for her ferocity. But Meg had lived long enough to know when it was better to hold back. Many of the most fiery young warriors died quickly for rushing in too boldly, as a boar charging a well-armed hunter. And sometimes, as Deirdre said, it paid more later to be nice now.

This was a hard sell, for the first thing Meg did come the autumn was march to the clan chief's village and steal half their cattle back. And when the strong warriors of that village turned out to stop her, they halted when they saw it was Meg, and she roared at them, and they ran away.

"You stole all their cattle," signed Fia. "That's not nice."

"Half their cattle," signed Meg. "I was being nice. I didn't want them to starve. Maybe they will remember that."

Tally was around more often these days. Since Deirdre had ceased her open inquiry into the study of letters, Tally was willing to be in her presence again. He was even willing to help Deirdre and Meg and old Mochán teach the rest of the village how to do sign language. Mochán had thought that the knowledge of such a thing was falling off among the younger generations, so he was pleased to see a reversal of that trend – but not half as pleased as Deirdre, whose heart seemed lighter than it had been.

Which is not to say as light as anyone else's. There were days when Deirdre would be all gloom and shadow, when her smile seemed forced. On those days, when Meg asked what was wrong, Deirdre would only reply, "My songs are lost."

And it was true. Everyone in the village was missing Deirdre's voice. They sang to fill the silence. But it was not the same.

On such days, Deirdre would only be content when she sat in her roundhouse with Meg and Fia, and with them spun wool by the fire.

So one such evening, she asked Fia where on earth she had come from, and what she had done in the years before Meg came to the Black Pool, and how on earth she had survived.

As to the first question, Fia could not easily answer, for like any child, she did not remember much of anything before she was three years old, and she had been on her own, in a way, since that age, if not before.

As to the second question, that one was easy to answer. She had run through the forests. She had run through the fields. She had run over the water. She had eventually slowed down at some point, and realized that there was such a thing as hunger, and cold, and thirst. So then she had crept through the forests, and, upon finding one family or another, would beg them to take her in, and they would – but then she would get bored within a few weeks and leave again, off to the tops of the mountains to see dragons or to the seas of the north to see giants or to the mounds to see --

"You've stayed with us for this long," signed Deirdre. "I am flattered."

"You are my mother Deirdre," signed Fia. "I never called anyone mother before you. Except Meg. Talking of which, are you ever going to go on adventures again?"

"I have so much to do here," signed Deirdre.

"I can't abandon my people again," signed Meg.

"You can go with me," signed Tally. "I've got my work to do, and it's nice to have someone who can keep up with me."

"Alright," signed Fia, "Tally is my favorite parent."

At this, Deirdre had raised an eyebrow, and signed, "Sure, and I'll be your favorite next month when I can teach you how to make – " and she made a sign that Meg did not know. She glanced at Tally, and winced.

Tally shook his head.

So Deirdre looked sullen. "Go with Tally then," she signed. "He has more fun than I do."

"I wish I could understand what the trouble is," signed Meg. "But I fear I am not allowed to know."

"I will tell you this," said Tally aloud. "If Deirdre does what she wants with teaching people letters, it will put us all in danger. We're already pushing it with the sign language, but the gods enjoy a good loophole now and then. They might even reward that kind of cleverness. They don't laugh when the rules are cleanly broken though. There are things Deirdre knows that you are not allowed to know. Already there are things you have seen that you should not have seen. If Deirdre tells you all she would tell you…I would have to grab Fia and run. Without you two. Because judgment would be coming for you."

"There are already people in this world who know how to read and make letters," signed Deirdre. "You think I would upset very much if I taught my people how to read?"

"I can imagine a certain increase in political chaos," signed Tally.

"For goodness sake, it's not like I'm making – " and Deirdre made another sign Meg did not know.

"What's that one?" said Meg.

"Nothing you need to know," said Tally.

Everyone else glared at him.

"Alright alright! It's called Plutonium. But I am not going to tell you what it is or how it's made. It is way beyond your time."

"Time?" signed Meg.

"I have said too much," signed Tally, and he got up to leave.

But Fia stood in his way at the door.

"For goodness sake child!" said Tally. "You would disobey your father so openly?"

"You haven't given me an order yet," said Fia. "And you didn't answer the question. Are we allowed to learn how to read or not?"

Tally sighed. "If anyone asks, we will say Deirdre learned it from people over the sea the same people who turned her skin cloud-white and her eyes golden. And I will not help you learn how to sound out the letters. You figure out that one on your own. I can't be too involved with this." He turned to Meg. "And if the gods start investigating what you're doing, I swear to you, I will take Fia and run far away."

Thunder rumbled above the roundhouse.

"I trust your word," signed Meg.

And then Fia let Tally depart. She sat back down by the fire, and took up her spindle again.

"Fia," signed Meg. "Are you angry I left you for a whole year?"

"You made a big deal about leaving me in good hands," said Fia.

"Talking of hands – "

"Sorry," signed Fia. "You made a big deal about leaving me with good people. Half a deer and everything. I was the one who abandoned the farm. Are you angry with me for doing that?"

"I was disappointed," signed Meg. "I was worried, I was frustrated -- But I understand you a little better now. You can't stick around any place for long, can you?"

"But I can keep coming back here to the parents I love."

"I will settle for that," signed Deirdre. "I know you will keep coming back."

And Deirdre signed no more words that evening. But her face did not look as troubled as it had before.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.