British Author
Born 1881 Died 1944

Leopold Hamilton Myers was born at Leckhampton, Grange Road in Cambridge on the 6th September 1881, the eldest of the three children of Frederic William Henry Myers. His father was a writer and founder member of the Society for Psychical Research, his mother Eveleen Tennant was one of the early pioneers of photography.

Leopold was educated at Eton College, spent a year in Germany, and was then briefly at Trinity College, Cambridge until his father's death in January 1901. He then accompanied his mother on a trip to the United States for a pre-arranged 'meeting' with her deceased husband. Sadly his father failed to turn up, but Leopold did have "a mystical experience in a hotel bedroom in Chicago". However his American trip did enable him to meet his future wife. Elsie, the daughter of General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs, Colorado; although he had to wait another seven years before she finally agreed to marry him, after which they went to live at Marlow in Buckinghamshire in 1908 where they had two daughters.

Although Leopold was employed at the trade department of the Foreign Office during World War I, he had inherited a considerable amount of money from his godfather in 1906 and had no particular need to work for a living. He therefore spent his time socialising and eating at fashionable restaurants, travelled widely and amused himself by racing at Brooklands and flying balloons.

His first published work was a play Arvat, which appeared in 1908 and since he was under no pressure to write for a living it was some years before his next work, the novel The Orissers (1922) followed by another novel The Clio which appeared in 1925.

He became best known for his sequence of novels set in sixteenth century India during the reign of Akbar, the Great Moghul Emperor. These were by no means historical novels, as he was cavalier in his treatment of facts and only used the historical setting as a device to examine contemporary issues on the basis,"that we might view them better from the distant vantage ground of an imaginary world". This triology of novels was completed with the publication of The Root and the Flower in 1935 which won both the Femina Vie Heureuse Prize and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize, and later followed by a fourth book The Pool of Vishnu

He was briefly associated with the Bloomsbury Group and later during the 1930s he came to think of himself as a member of the left-wing intelligentsia and professed to be a communist. He was however widely regarded as an arrogant snob and had a distinct tendency to pick arguments and fall out with most people he met. His writing reflected his concerns with issues of spirituality and religious philosophy, and Leopold was well versed in the major texts of Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism as well as contemporary works on philosophy and the new science of psychology. But although his Chicago experience convinced him of the reality of the spiritual dimension, he never came to any firm conclusions.

Towards the end of his life he wrote an autobiography but was so disatisifed with the results that he destroyed every copy, and began to suffer from serious depression. During the night of 7th April 1944 he took an overdose of the sedative Veronal and was found dead the following morning at his home on the Oxford Road in Marlow.

Bibliography

Plays

The Indian trilogy (*)

Other novels

(* This trilogy of novels Were collectively republished in Britain in 1943 as The Near and the Far and in the United States in 1945 as The Root and the Flower. The third novel appeared as The Root and the Flower in Britain and as Rajah Amar in the United States. The use of the American versions of the titles now seems to be more common.)


REFERENCES

Sophia Creswell, ‘Myers, Leopold Hamilton (1881–1944)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004
http://www.nybooks.com/nyrb/authors/7458
http://www.booksellerworld.com/lh-myers.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.