A hypothetical continent which existed during the Paleozoic Era, Laurussia was formed during the Devonian Period when several fragments of the ancestral supercontinent Rodinia collided with each other, especially

During the Devonian Period, Laurussia was mostly tropical, extending from 30 degrees south of the Equator to just north of it. West of the Acadian mountains was the Kaskaskia Sea, a shallow ocean extending from what is now southeastern New York and central Pennsylvania to large archipelagoes formed by the ancestral Sierra Nevada.

The Acadian Mountains eventually eroded down to a peneplain, but the debris formed sedimentary layers that now form the Catskill and Pocono Mountains of New Tork and Pennsylvania, as well as the Old Red Sandstone of Great Britain. Laurussia was recognized as a paleocontinent when the similarity of these sedimentary rock layers was rcognized. Because of this, Laurussia is often called the "Old Red Sandstone Continent".

In the Mississippian period, Laurussia straddled the Equator from 30o N to 30o S. As the Mississippian Period progressed, limestone layers were being laid down in the shallow Kaskaskia Sea. As time progressed into the Pennsylvanian Period, vast coastal swamps formed on the western slopes of the mountains. In these swamps the coal deposits of the Western Appalachians were laid down. Further east, Laurussia collided with ancient Siberia to form the continent Laurasia. Soon afterward, during the Permian Period, Laurasia collided with Gondwana to form Pangaea.


Most information came from the excellent site, "The Geological Evolution of Virginia and the mid-Atlantic Region", at
http://geollab.jmu.edu/vageol/vahist/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.