Léo Gausson (1860-1944) French artist

French painter Léo Gausson received an education as engraver in Paris and then worked in the printing business. He lost his job at the print shop in 1883 and started to make and sell paintings to earn a living somehow.

He got in touch with other artists, which provided him with a shared studio in Paris and Lagny-sur-Marne - he is sometimes referred to as a member of the 'Groupe de Lagny' (Lagny Group) together with other neo-impressionist artists Cavallo-Péduzzi (whose real name was Emile-Gustave Péduzzi), Lucien Pissaro and Maximilien Luce. With his friends, he experimented with the colour theories by Georges Seurat. The opportunity to expose his work came in 1886, when the famous Salon in Paris invited him. A year later Gausson joined the movement of the Indépendants, but he followed their style of divisionism just for a few years.

Gausson felt more at home in a style connected to that of the Nabis, who were inspired by Paul Gauguin's method of painting in bold colours, and the symbolists.

In 1896, Gausson stopped painting and exposing. He started a literary career, publishing an anthology of verse, although he also developed activities as illustrator and designer of posters. He travelled a lot in his native country, but moved to Africa in 1901 for seven years, working as an administrator in civil service when not journeying. After returning to Paris, he was employed in minor government posts. He retired to Lagny.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.