Kolomoki Mounds is one of the largest prehistoric mound complexes in Georgia and is thought to have been one of the most populous settlements north of Mexico between A.D. 350 and 600.

The mound site is located on a tributary of the Chattahoochee River in Early County, Georgia in the Southwest corner of the state. The site is now protected as part of the Kolomoki Mounds State Historic Park. The park is set in the rolling country side near the town of Blakely and offers camping as well as being close by the beautiful Lake Seminole.

The site its self consists of seven mounds, the largest of which stands fifty-six feet in height. Some of the mounds have been found to contain pottery and ceramic vessels while others are believed to have been used for ceremonies including burials. Some of the pottery is of the Swift Creek type known by its curved line patterns which are pressed into the clay with wooden tools.

Between 1894 and 1897 The Smithsonian Institute conducted a dig at the site but the only modern excavation was done by a team led by archaeologist William Sears from 1948 to 1953.

There is some good hiking in and around the park and this along with the historical information available make for a very nice family day trip.

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.