Juggler was one of the first demos for the Amiga computer and was perhaps the most famous one of all. Created in 1986 by Eric Graham using his own raytracer (which later became Sculpt3D) and animation routines, Juggler showed a crudely rendered 'man' standing on a checkerboard pattern platform juggling three mirrored balls. The fact that it was done on a consumer PC was an amazing feat for the time. So amazing, in fact, that the legal department at Commodore thought that it was a hoax. Eric graciously sent them his renderer to generate and compile the code for the Juggler. Convinced that Eric wasn't just yanking their chain, he received $2,000 in exchange for allowing Commodore to use his demo in promotions for the Amiga. Juggler would go on to inspire many young geeks to pursue a career in computer animation.

You can find a video of the Juggler at: http://www.t-bone.org/amiga/amiga_demos.htm

Jug"gler (?), n. [OE. jogelour, juglur, OF. jogleor, jugleor, jongleor, F. jongleur, fr. L. joculator a jester, joker, fr. joculus a little jest or joke, dim. of jocus jest, joke. See Joke, and cf. Jongleur, Joculator.]

1.

One who practices or exhibits tricks by sleight of hand; one skilled in legerdemain; a conjurer.

As nimble jugglers that deceive the eye. Shak.

Jugglers and impostors do daily delude them. Sir T. Browne.

2.

A deceiver; a cheat.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.