Also Known As:

First Strike (1996)
Police Story 4 (1996)
Police Story 4: First Strike (1996)
Police Story 4: Piece of Cake (1996)
Police Story 4: Story of the CIA (1996)
Story of the CIA (1996)
Jing cha gu shi IV: Jian dan ren wu (1996) - Original Title

The movie known to US audiences as Jackie Chan's First Strike was first released in 1996 in Hong Kong. On January 10, 1997, the action movie found itself in US theaters and enjoying a good deal of success after his last hit, Rumble in the Bronx. First Strike is one of Chan's most diverse movies, with a nonstop combination of humor and action.

Like most Jackie Chan movies, the plot isn't what makes the film. Chan, a Hong Kong cop, is helping out in an international operation to capture a Russian spy. What Chan stumbles into is a plot to steal a nuclear warhead. He is then persuaded by the KGB to go to Australia to recover the warhead. Along the way, he encounters Annie, a woman he has been interested in for a while. When Annie's father is killed and her brother is found to be a double agent for Russia, Jackie is blamed for the murder and must flee for his life from both the authorities and the terrorists.

So, as you can see, the plot is nothing spectacular. However, First Strike has some of the finest action sequences in a Chan film, to date. The sheer wizardry displayed by the innovative fights and other action sequences is nothing short of brilliant. From skiing down Ukranian slopes to vaulting around Australian skyscrapers to the excellent fight in the shark pool near the end, the movie delivers solid thrills. At the very same time, this is one of Chan's funnier movies (after all, this IS the movie that introduced Jackie Chan's Polar Bear Hat of Doom and Jackie Chan's Koala Underwear, as well as his giant seal outfit.

Directed By

Stanley Tong

Produced By

Leonard Ho (executive producer)
Johnny Lee (IV) (line producer)
Barbie Tung (producer)

Main Cast

Jackie Chan - Jackie Chan Ka Kui
Annie Wu - Annie
Bill Tung - Uncle Bill
Yuri Petrov - Col. Gregor Yegorov
Nonna Grishayeva - Natasha
John Eaves (I) - Mark
Terry Woo - Uncle Seven
Kristopher Kazmarek - Commander Korda

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.