Hi. Ever wanted to know what it would be like to run an internet startup?

No you don't. I'll prove it to you--yeah, that's right; I'm running the rat-race even as we speak. And my life IS a shark-infested pool of rapidly cooling coffee, believe me. Imagine--going quickly broke because you had this great idea, but all the while you're going broke people are screaming eight- and nine-digit figures at you like you should get your Prowler in the mail real soon, just wait and see. Sometimes dealing with the utter optimism that gets slung at you is harder than trying to reconcile that projected phone bill of three-point-seven MILLION dollars in your third year.

Oh, and my job, my work "environment", is straight out of fucking Twin Peaks. "Surreal" doesn't even begin to cover it. It's a whole lot of paranoia and acting and plotting and having philosophical breakdowns because the whole goddamn thing is so stiff, so dark and dusty and freakin' dangerous that there's no time for you to become accustomed to it, and you walk around from meeting to lie and back again like someone out of time. It makes you act insane. It puts such a level of uncertainty into daily existence that even a chaos mage would have a heart attack. I know. You float around in a constant state of mild psychosis; prepared for amazing victory or stunning defeat at least two or three times a day; you will develop different personalities.

In short, I highly recommend it for bored people looking for a thrill, or frighteningly ambitious people, or chaos mages in training...oh, and of course, borderline psychotics who want to see how far they can push it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.