The IHSLA is the governing body for high school lacrosse in Indiana. The league is overseen by an executive committee and accepts teams from school varsity programs, school clubs, and independent organizations. The number of teams in the league has grown rapidly reaching a peak in 2004 of twenty teams. Most of these teams are located near Indianapolis, Indiana but are also located as far as the LaPorte Nemesis independent team from LaPorte, Indiana and Bishop Luers Knights from Fort Wayne, Indiana.
The league runs generally from March until mid May when the league has post-season final four competition. Teams are required a minimum seven game league schedule but many complete many more. Coaches create their own schedule based on their local situation and availability. All stats and team information are maintained through the league website: http://www.indianalacrosse.org.
First year teams are probationary. They are given two goals by the league that become property of the team as soon as they complete two years in the IHSLA as well as have their league fee, $200, waived the first year. Probationary teams are also not eligible for post-season but are eligible to have players nominated to the All-State team as well as win the team Sportsmanlike Conduct award. After their first year, probationary teams are voted into as full members by the coaches at the fall coaches' meeting.
IHSLA Member Teams as of 2003
- School - Team Mascot - Location
- Bishop Chatard - Trojans - Indianapolis
- Bishop Luers - Knights - Fort Wayne
- Brebeuf Jesuit - Braves - Indianapolis
- Carmel - Greyhounds - Carmel
- Cathedral - Fighting Irish - Indianapolis
- Concord - Minutemen Militia - Elkhart
- Culver Military - Eagles - Culver
- Hamilton Southeastern - Royals - Fishers
- Noblesville - Millers - Noblesville
- North Central - Panthers - Indianapolis
- Park Tudor - Panthers (yes, same mascot) - Indianapolis
- Pike - Red Devils - Indianapolis
- Snider - Panthers (yes, another) - Fort Wayne
- St. Joseph - Indians - South Bend
- Westfield - Shamrock - Westfield
- Zionsville - Eagles - Zionsville