Ilyushin Il-20 Coot-A

The Ilyushin Il-20 "Coot-A" is a Russian electronic intelligence gathering aircraft based on the Ilyushin Il-18 Coot airframe. The planes remain in service today and are frequently seen over the Baltic and North seas gathering Sigint(Signal Intelligence) and Comint(Communications Intelligence).

The Ilyushin Il-20 was first identified in 1978 by western intelligence agencies. It serves as the replacement of the Ilyushin Il-14 Crate. The type is built from a modified Il-18 airframe, but has undergone a number of fuselage changes to incorporate various intelligence gathering pods. The plane now accommodates teams of specialists for Sigint. Also added to the plane was an extensive navigation system.

From their first sighting in 1978, Il-20s have been spotted over the Baltic and North seas on multiple occasions gathering Sigint. The Il-20 has also been tasked on many occasions to shadow United States warships and register their "electronic fingerprint" so that the type can be quickly identified by other units of the military in a wartime situation. It is not know how many Il-20s are operated by Russia.

NOTE: These specifications are taken from The Encyclopedia of Modern Warplanes.
In the interest of being correct, they have been Cross-referenced with Jane's All The World's Aircraft.

Power Plant: four 3169-eKW Ivchyenko Al-20M turboprops
Maximum Speed: 410 mph
Service Ceiling: 32,810 feet
Range: 2,200miles

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.