DJ Hova, for his weekly Monday
morning show, decided, since it would be February 14, 2000
known in some parts of the world as Valentine's Day
, to devote the second hour of that day's show to a "mix
of make-out music
" for the special occasion. The first hour was pretty cool as well, with the
Red House Painters
' version of Paul McCartney
's "Silly Love Songs", sounding like a dead-on copy,
had the song been originally done by Neil Young
and Crazy Horse. There was also Richard Hell
' "Love Comes in Spurts
", and Kiss
' "Calling Dr. Love
". I guess these latter two are
Silly Love Songs for those of us (s)addled with that pesky Y chromosome
. Down, boy!
Hova encouraged us out there in listenerland to have a C-60 ready to tape the second hour, and to, say,
present it to that special someone (but not in lieu of flowers, etc), or enjoy it alongside that
special whomever. Those of you who didn't listen in can always make your own tape (or MP3 playlist); I
imagine these songs are all still in print somewhere. But remember: Home taping is killing the great chefs
of Europe! Drive safely, and save the last pierogi for me. I must go slow-dance with Webster now; Barry White has come here to personally serenade us. I think he has his eye on
- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: "The Look of Love"
- Françoise: "Hum! Hum!"
- Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin: "Je t'aime... moi non plus"
- Booker T. and the MG's: "Light My Fire"
- Aretha Franklin: "Dr. Feelgood"
- Al Green: "Love and Happiness"
- The Fabulous 5: "Ooh! Aah!"
- King Floyd: "Groove Me"
- Byron Lee & the Dragonaires: "Love at First Sight"
- k.d. lang: "So in Love"
- João Gilberto: "Besame Mucho"
- Johnny Mathis: "Come to Me"
- Prince: "Do Me"
- Marvin Gaye: "Let's Get it On"
- Gwen McCrae: "Rockin' Chair"
- Donna Summer: "Love to Love You Baby"
And there's always next year. Or you can make any day Valentine's Day - why wait 'til that one day in
Feb-yoo-ary? Make this the soundtrack
for an hour during your next cuddle
-icious Space Day