The last line of defense when all other options have run dry... the last pit stop available before complete surrender...

Example #1

The world is being overwhelmed by giant sentient sausages (complete with opposable thumbs). All standard weapons have proven useless in the battle against sausage domination. So, the human race gathers together and prepares to launch a nuclear attack against the Sausage Lords and Ladies. The only problem is that the Sausages have fully infiltrated all cities and towns and live amongst the population with cruel, sick and greasy intentions.

"Mr. President, what do you want us to do? We've exhausted all other possibilities."

"Fire off everything we have and hope for the best."

Example #2

October, 1993...

Your narrator is on his way to work, early on a rainy and cold autumn morning in Massachusetts.
Driving down a state road...
keeping the speed down as visibility is low...
watching the signs...
watching the signals...

From out of a small side street comes a late model Toyota, barely slowing down for the stop sign at his gateway to the main road. The Toyota squirts out in front of your narrator. Impact is unavoidable, even as your narrator steers towards the side of the road. Avoidance will only come if he accepts a head on collision with a large oak tree. The bumpers of the two vehicles bounce off each other at an angle and the two cars dance briefly before pulling over to a stop. No one is injured, but a young Asian man steps out of the Toyota. He is very apologetic.

"I am very sorry. I cannot see in the rain, so I just pull out and hope for the best."

Example #3

The doctors gave him very little chance of living more than two or three months. The disease he contracted was fatal in 99% of the cases where it was so far advanced. He had surrendered himself to mortality and the friendly, warm and passionate grip of Thanatos.

His wife was...
...not so sure...

There were a number of experimental treatments for his condition. His wife wanted the doctors to try them all, no matter what the cost... financially or emotionally. As they described the possible side-effects, which included an acceleration of his mortality, coma, and an extended life as a vegetable, the wife was not at all moved...

"Just do it. Do it all. Hope for the best."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.