Hesiod, a Greek poet, was born in Askra of Boeotia in the 8th century before the common era. He described himself as a shepherd who became a farmer. His two most recognized, and indeed significant poems were Works and Days and Theogony.

Works and Days lectures success through hard work tempered with justice, and favourable approaches to managing work and family, among other varied moral teachings. It is supposed that he wrote this out of worry of injustice being done to himself by his brother.

Theogony is an epic poem of 1022 lines which discusses the origins and history of the gods, and the subsequent creation of the Universe.

There is argument on whether the works were actually his own, or simply a summation of collected materials. The material had actually been around for ages, and is shown in fragments of others' works dating back a few millennia, and many of his ideas concerning the Theogony are based on those of Orpheas.

The rumours have it that he was murdered, and that the oracle at Delphi commanded his bones to be brought to Orchomenus, where they erected a monument to Hesiod.

His written works:
Works and Days
Theogony
The Catalogues of Women and the Eoiae (fragments)
The Shield of Heracles (attributed)
Divination by Birds to Idaean Dactyls (fragments)
Marriage of Ceyx to Doubtful (fragments)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.