Song by Grandaddy, track one on The Sophtware Slump (8:56). A spacey epic of post-modern ansgt. This node was rescued from node heaven after I removed most of the lyrics and was one of my proudest when I originally created it. You can find a link to the lyrics at the bottom.

The song starts with strange flanged banjo-esque guitar strumming. Birds chirp in the background.

In the break at about 1:15, someone (lead singer Jason Lytle) says "Are you ready?" The response is "yup." First voice then says "OK, 1...2...3...4". The song now kicks in to smooth space pop, with droning organ.

At 2:50, there is a short dischordant piano rave-up. and the following lyrics are sung over a somber solo piano line, which is then joined by echoes on the voice and computer sounds. The line "Are you giving in 2000 man?" is repeated over and over as more pieces are added to the sounds, while some fade in and out. When this peaks, after adding drums, bass, and other parts, the parenthetical lines are added in the background (at 5:30) as the song slowly grows to a climax. Then gradually at (7:50), after a Moog solo, each piece fades back out to a solo piano.


I believe they want
you to give in

Are you giving in 2000 man?
(did you love this world
and did this world not love you?)

One interesting tidbit: at about 3:45 you can faintly hear a 2 second quote from their song A.M. 180 off of their first album, Under The Western Freeway.




Listening to this song while riding my commuter bus up the New Jersey Turnpike this morning, the emotion was captured perfectly by the scene from the window. The sky was pale orange and blue, and a blinding sun sat directly above the Twin Towers in my panoramic view of New York City across a meadow. It was a sort of empty, post-techno-modern scene. Very very.

Revisiting this node post-9/11 has been interesting for me. I have had to revisit the lonliness and sadness that this song associates with modernity. I think the loss of the towers has almost made this song more important in my memory, as it figures so powerfully in my last memory of them. You can sort-of get the same feeling walking around ground zero on a windy day.


Lyrics:
http://www.lyricsdir.com/grandaddy-hes-simple-hes-dumb-hes-the-pilot-lyrics.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.