Going in blind refers to the act of approaching something with little to no information about the thing. The thing in question can be anything but the term is most often used with media such as movies, TV shows, and video games. There are a lot of reasons why a person could want to go in blind. They could have a general spoiler allergy. They could want to see it as the creator intended. They could simply have been told not to look up anything about it by the person recommending it. Whatever the reason, going in blind guarantees the most pure experience of a piece of media as itself. This actually begs the question of whether and how context matters. If somebody somehow plays the original Doom with no concept of it's place in history and calls it an uninspired boomer shooter is this evidence that they are a soulless philistine or that computer games have actually improved in the last thirty years?

Going in blind is putting yourself entirely in the hands of the media. For a romantic comedy this is a fairly benign action of little consequence. If the movie is a psychological thriller with a lot of disturbing content you may regret the choice. Obviously, going in blind is incompatible with being on the look out for trigger warnings. This makes the practice of going in blind a bit of a high-risk-high-reward strategy. It's also worth asking how little info can still be considered a blind experience. Having visited the Wikipedia page is an instant disqualification but having seen all of the trailers is more ambiguous. Anti-spoiler super fans will go out of their way to avoid trailers but most would consider that excessive.

IRON NODER XVI: MORE STUBBORN-HARD THAN HAMMER'D IRON

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.